Chapter 29

The next few days flew by. Dad was coming back, and I was very, very nervous.

I was sure that Elliot was at least twice as worried, but I couldn't help it. I had never really dated anyone before, let alone bring them to meet my parents.

Dad wouldn't be home until the next day, and we decided to wait until he had been back for a bit. I didn't want to overwhelm him as soon as he got back.

My fingers hovered above the keys. I thought playing might soothe my nerves some, but I just couldn't get into the right mood for it. I ran my index finger down the keys one by one, sighing.

"Hey, Ariette?"

I turned to see Crystal peeking into the doorway. She had her hair up in a tight ponytail, because she had been going through the closets.

"What?" I spun my body around to face her.

She opened the door a bit wider and held up a small wooden box.

"I think this was your mother's. Do you want it? It needs a key, but I couldn't find one for it."

My mind flashed back to the day I found the key on a piece of string. I hadn't worn it in a while, so I almost forgot I had it.

  "Yeah," I answered. "I'll take it."

  I walked over and took the box from her hands. She left me there, all alone with it. I wonder what could be inside?

I ran upstairs and fumbled around in my dresser drawer until I felt the cool metal touch my fingers. I admired the old key, with its little details and fragile shape.

I sat on the bed and twisted the key into the hole. It fit.

I took a deep breath and braced myself for whatever was inside. All that laid inside was a few pieces of notebook paper, with a dried rose.

  She must have dried flowers a lot, because there was a whole book of them upstairs.

I removed the rose, feeling the crackly petals with my fingertips. The papers were worn, but not too old. I instantly recognized the curly writing. It was Moms.

I wondered for a moment if it was a good idea to read them, but what did I have to lose?

Dear Diary,

I turned sixteen today. Mommy and Daddy threw a party for me. It was wonderful. We had cranberry punch and little sandwiches with toothpicks in them, like on television. I hope that this is a good year for me, maybe I will even find love?

Love, Marnie

That was only the first page. They all seemed to be from different dates. Her tone was so formal, even when writing. I always found that so admirable.

Dear Diary,

Today I graduated high school. Mommy and Daddy bought me a ruby red ring as a graduation present. I love it so much, that I would like to be buried in it. It reminds me that I really can do anything I set my mind to. I still have not found love, but I wonder what the future holds?