Chapter 4

The morning sun laid its rays on my face. We had spent our first night in this beautiful house. I slept on the new bed set Crystal purchased for me. It actually wasn't that bad. I had expected her to bring me something pink or frilly, but it was just a simple cream color, that was especially soft. I wondered if she picked it because she knew I wouldn't want something too girly. I rose up and sat for a few minutes, then headed for the bathroom.

*****

After putting on a gray t-shirt and blue jean shorts, I headed for the kitchen. Dad was there, already drinking his coffee. He gave me a smile, and went back to his newspaper. I thought about giving him the book. Crystal was probably still in the middle of her morning routine, which could take up to 3 hours. Maybe later. I'm already downstairs. There were a few breakfast options, fresh from the local grocery store. I grabbed a blueberry muffin and found some shoes. I laced up, grabbed a book, and headed out.

         I decided to walk down closer to the beach shore

I decided to walk down closer to the beach shore. It was a nice morning, with just enough sunshine to keep you warm, but not enough to nearly blind you. After finishing my breakfast, I settled on a pile of semi-dry rocks and began reading. It was some sort of love story, with the main protagonist saying something like, "One day my prince will come, and whisk my heart away.." I almost laughed. Yeah, right. Because every girl has her "Prince Charming". Mine must be stuck in a tree, ready to fall out and come save me.

As I continued reading, I heard some noise above me. It sounded like an animal or something, so I continued with the story.

I heard it again, louder this time. I closed the book and stood up. I looked, but there was nobody around. What in the world was-

There it was again, and this time I could tell it was somewhere to my upper right. I climbed up the rocky bank and surveyed my surroundings. There was a patch of forest nearby. I thought to myself, Sure, let's investigate. What could possibly happen?

I walked into the spray of trees, which were surprisingly pretty. I surveyed my surroundings, looking for any sign of struggle or movement. I heard some leaves rustle, and I slowly crept in the same direction. I came to a tall tree, abundant with branches and leaves. A few of the branches were shaking, so there was clearly something up there. I couldn't see what it was. What should I do? Is it just an animal? Is someone stuck up there? Should I call out? So many questions.

As I attempted to gather my rambunctious thoughts, there was a rustle. And then a whoosh. Then, a thump. And finally, "Ouch.."

My heart nearly leapt out of my chest. Who? What? When did they-

It was a guy. He stood up and brushed some dirt off of his jeans and flannel shirt, breathing heavily. He shook a few leaves out of his fluffy brown hair, and his deep brown eyes met mine. With a look of confusion, he started towards me. No. No. No. Leave! He could be a murderer! My feet wouldn't move from their place on the dirt covered ground. All I could do was hold my book against my chest, as if it were a shield.

He stopped. With a smile, he said, "Hi, I'm Elliot."

My heart skipped a beat. Well, would you look at that. This prince really did fall out of a damn tree.