Chapter 16

We walked, looking for my house while being drenched from the rain. His hand was intertwined with mine, and we just talked. My brain had a hard time processing the fact that we had kissed, but it wasn't awkward. Elliot could talk and talk until the sun came up.

Part of me was worried about where our connection would lead, but I pushed the worries away, just to enjoy the moment. He made me happy. I didn't want my own personal issues get in the way of that.

   We reached the back side of my house, after about twenty minutes of walking. He had kept a smile on his face the whole way there, and it quickly faded when he saw that we had reached our destination.

  He sighed and placed himself in front of me.

  "I really don't want to leave you ."

   "But you know I have to go home."

   He groaned, "Ugh, I do know that. But I'm just having so much fun with you." He gave me a pouty look. His hair was all wet, and he looked like a little puppy who didn't want to go to bed.

   I just laughed and said, "Goodnight, Elliot." before giving him a wave as I walked up to the house.

    I turned back as I reached the porch, giving him another wave. He returned it and started walking home. I dragged myself onto the front porch and sighed. How on earth do I explain this? My clothes and hair were soaking wet, and I practically snuck out.

   I took in a deep breath and opened the front door. Slowly, I slid into the house and shut the door quietly behind me. I could smell food coming from the kitchen, so I assumed that was where Dad and Crystal were.

   I tiptoed to the bathroom to grab a towel, so I could not only dry myself off, but cover my trail of water droplets. I snatched one and made my way back to the staircase. I gently went up the stairs, mopping my trail of water as I went.

   I locked my bedroom door and quickly changed into dry clothes. My hair was dripping everywhere, so I snuck into Crystal's bathroom and used her hairdryer. Afterwards, I headed back downstairs and slid into the kitchen. Dad was making himself a plate of spaghetti, and Crystal was pouring water into three glasses.

  She looked up at me and said,"There you are! I was just about to come up to get you. Didn't you get my texts?"

  I suddenly remembered that I had left my phone lying on my bed before I went on an "adventure ".

  "Uh, I was in the shower."

"Really?" Dad turned towards us. "I didn't hear it running."

Crystal saw my instant panic and said, "Oh, I think I did. Maybe you just can't hear that well, darling." She gave me a wink.

"Hm. I guess so. Come eat, Ariette. We're having spaghetti."

"Sure." I replied with a smile. I turned to Crystal and mouthed a quick "thank you" before making myself a plate. That was a close one.

I wasn't entirely sure why I was hiding it from Dad in the first place. I guess it was because I had no idea how he would react to me having a boyfriend. Boyfriend. I didn't even know if that was what he was to me.

I ate dinner at a quick pace, because I was itching to play the piano once before I went to sleep. After cleaning up, I headed for the music room. I pushed open the mahogany doors once again and took it all in.

  With Crystals constant cleaning of the room, it looked magnificent. The paintings on the wall looked as vibrant as real life, and the floor shined like an ocean. Whenever I opened the double-doors to the outside, it was like paradise. In the midst of it all was the piano, my very best friend.

   I sat down on the bench and revealed the keys. They were a faded white color, with scratches here and there. I sat for a minute, contemplating what to play. But then, my mothers face flashed into my mind.

   I instantly recalled a song that she had always loved, A Little Night Music, by Mozart. She used to play it for me before I went to sleep. I smiled at the memory of Mom tucking me into bed, and saying that she loved me. I began to play the song, imagining that she was right there with me.

    I played for a few minutes, humming along with the tune. Dad cautiously opened one of the doors, and peeked in. I glanced over at him, as if saying, Come in, Dad. He slid into the room and closed the door shut behind him. He walked over to the piano and placed himself behind me, his hand resting on my shoulder.

  "Do you remember how much your mother loved that song?"

  I nodded and continued playing. We both stayed silent, taking in the memory of Mom. I started tearing up a little as the song came to its end. I stood up and turned to him. He was getting upset, too.

   He gave me a weary smile, and opened his arms. I gave him a tight hug and he hugged me back even tighter.

   "I love you so much, my little girl."

   "Me too, Dad. I love you too."

[Authors Note: Hello, hello! Thank you so much for reading this chapter of Beautiful Symphony! I really hope that you all have enjoyed the story so far. If you did, don't be afraid to hit that vote button! Every vote, read, or comment is dearly appreciated. Thanks so much, and I hope you enjoy the next chapter! :)]