Chapter 25

"So... He's your... Boyfriend?"

"Yes."

"And that's why you don't want to leave?"

"Yes. And I'm having fun here. This place is great, Dad."

I explained to Dad (vaguely) the events of my summer with Elliot. He didn't seem angry, just shocked.

He looked like he was lost in thought for a minute before letting out a sigh.

"I don't really know what to do for you. I still have to go back."

"Well, I could just stay here.."

"And with who?" He snapped.

"I can stay here with her, darling."

We turned to see Crystal standing in the doorway.

"But wouldn't you get bored?" I asked.

She just shrugged. "Probably. But I can find ways to occupy myself, and it's not like Paul will be gone all summer."

I turned to Dad, searching for signs of approval. He sighed, and my face lit up.

"Fine. Only if Crystal stays with you. I'll be back in two weeks."

"Yes, yes! Of course! Thank you, Dad!" I squeezed him in my arms.

He sighed, wrapping his arms back around me. "Don't let that boy do anything, and I mean anything, that I wouldn't let him do." He added, nodding to Crystal.

"Of course." She said.

I released myself from Dad and looked at her. I had almost forgotten to thank her.

I gave her a huge smile and whispered, "Thank you."

*****

Dad left early that next morning. He decided to go ahead and leave so he could get back sooner.

I couldn't help myself from smiling. For once, my Dad heard me. He heard me say more than just empty words. He heard words from my heart. And it worked.

I was proud of myself for telling him everything, about Mom and Elliot. He promised that we would talk more when he got back.

The days in Maine went by so fast, and there was no way I wanted them to end so quickly.

Dad said he would be back in about two weeks, and that left me plenty of time to just be a girl.

Crystal suggested that we spend our time without Dad together, but also apart, so that I could see Elliot.

I couldn't wait to tell him. I told him that we would talk about everything today, so I figured that it would be a pleasant surprise instead of the whole depressing talk I predicted would happen otherwise.

I told him that I would pick him up today, for a change. Crystal let me borrow the extra car we rented, since Dad took the other one.

I vaguely recalled the way to his house, and somehow got there on time. I pulled into the driveway, trying very hard to wipe the smile off of my face. I wanted it to be a surprise.

He stepped out of the door only moments later, shouting back at who I assumed was Lucy, saying something about going out.