Chapter 2 || Grow To Be Our Savior

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

She looks like a restless mouse walking to each end of the stone wall, acting as her keeper. After eighteen years of planning, and dreaming the day is finally here. The Princess. It must be her, she is dressed in a long powder blue dress, nothing like I have ever seen. It lays nicely against her soft curves. Her fiery red hair seeming to match her spirit. Her emerald green eyes fit perfectly with her porcelain coloring. It's obvious simply by her skin that she has seen little of the world around her. 

The day has finally come, Mother, I think to myself. My eyes closing with a sigh, welcoming the memory of my last night with her.

"My sweet boy," Mother whispered into my ear when she came home that night. "It's a girl," she added, petting my unruly black hair, while I lay in bed. "She will grow to be our savior. I just know it. The prophecy must speak truth." Hope clear in her voice, as she spoke of a baby not even a day old yet. The prophecy was one every living soul could recite from memory. 

In the mists of darkness and great suffering,

the product of the cause will rise

and a great light will shine bright

and peace will resign over all the land.

"But you must not speak of her, my dear. The royals wish to keep her a secret. They wish to take away all hope, but you, my sweet, mustn't let them. You understand? You must believe."

My smaller-self nodded at her.

"That's my good boy. Fight, help the girl. Our freedom is upon us. Sleep well," Mother said, giving me a protective kiss, as she referred to them as, before leaving me.

I went to sleep, and when I woke, my world was changed.

Breaking free of the memory that drove my every action, I refocused my gaze to the girl a few yards away. My eyes taking in her saddened expression upon searching the wall. Could they not see how they are crushing her?  Not physically of course. The servants would not dare, but with each carefully crafted answer they delivered to her, her soul ached more and more. This is as much a capture as it is a rescue, I concluded, going over the plan in my head once more.

"Is it time?" Aiden, my second in command, asks from my right.

"Almost," I reply, eyeing the guard leaving. As soon as, he is behind the corner, and I see the slight head nod, we move. "Now," I whisper loud enough for him and Aster to hear. Aster stays put being our look out but gave us a curt nod.

Aiden and I moved quickly and swiftly, not making a sound. Which one would think impossible for men like us, especially for Aiden, who is twice my size in stature. Nevertheless, we proceed to creep upon her. She is simply gazing upon the stone in front of her, and I nod to Aiden. He goes right behind her, covering her lips and nose with the cloth dosed with Floxlove, and a few other herbs, so the effects of the Foxglove wouldn't be so deadly. She struggles, but fear did a good job of keeping her still long enough for the fumes to get into her system. She begins to fade, instantly. Once she is securely on Aiden's shoulder, I hear her mumble softly, "Help."

"That's what we want, Princess," I whisper back before her head falls lightly against Aiden's back. She seems so peaceful, and an urge to brush back the tumbling curls from her face pulses through me, but I subdue the feeling just as quickly as it came. "Let's go."

We made it over the wall, and to our waiting horses inside the forest. Aiden hands the sleeping beauty over to me, and then a wicked, awful, sinking thought began to take root in my head. What if she doesn't want to change the Kingdom? What if she is just like her parents?  What if she is not the answer to the prophecy? Everything I built for her would be for nothing. My entire existence would be for naught. No. I will show her if she cannot see. 

I will show her. 

She is our savior, even if she doesn't know it yet.

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

Hey fellow bookworms!

So, another chapter done. I would love to hear some feedback, so please comment below. Also, if you liked it, don't forget to vote. Thank you for your support. It means the world to me. I update this story every Tuesday and Thursday.

@Topazgirl2 Thank you for being a steady and dedicated reader since the beginning! 

Stay awesome!