Chapter 11 || Worry Not

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

A small pool of blood begins to take shape around her. It is that of a horror scene. "Arabella," I rush forward holding her delicate body close in my arms. I take her to the shore, resting her gently against a tree trunk.

"I-I fine," she choked. I pushed down the bail that threatens to come up at seeing her so weak. The wet shirt, clinging perfectly to her body, holds a faint hint of the red, and her lips are stained with the same sickening color. Her shoulders are still shaking from the attack.

This seems much worse than before. Something is not right. I need to get her back, so she can rest, but she can't go back to camp looking like this.God, blood seems to be everywhere at the moment. The men will lose their minds at sight of their "angel" washed in blood.

"Arabella," I call, getting her attention, for she has closed her eyes, and is taking deep uneasy sighs. Her pained emerald eyes land on me. "I'm going exchange the shirt you are wearing with another. I promise to keep your honor, but my men cannot see you like this," I tell her calmly, picking up the discarded shirt by the shore. She simply nods once that is all the condolence I require. I maneuver both of her arms out of the shirt, so her body is still covered. Then, place the new shirt over her head, helping her arms into the sleeves. Not bothering to ask, I lift her slowly to a standing position and slip the wet shirt off. Now, at least the men can't tell she was swimming in blood. I place my coat on her shoulders to lessen the shaking in her shoulders. The warm coloring has returned to her face, but she is still unwell, anyone can see that.

"Are you okay to walk?" I ask, wanting to just lift her form into my arms. However, she nods, so I take the wet shirt, a hold of her soft hand, and together we go back to camp. The laughter and fun that resided between us are long gone. Only Aiden seems to question her appearance, but I ignore him, and he doesn't press.

When we arrive at our tent, I quickly bring her to the bed and help wrap her up in blankets. We will have to pick up some dresses for her at our first stop. She won't be taken seriously if she shows herself in nothing, but my shirts, I think, my mind trying to flee the situation at hand, but I won't allow it. I look upon the fragile creature that lays before me. This is not Arabella. She is strong, and she will fight this. I know it.

"Arabella is there something you take or something I can do?" I ask frustrated by the feeling helplessness that is overcoming me. "This can't be all," I plea.

"I-I have medicine I take, b-but it is at the castle," she says, as though it's hopeless. I turn on her instantly.

"Why didn't you speak of this before?"

"There is no way to retrieve it. Only one other knows of its existence," she replies.

"Arabella, you underestimate us. Tell me the name of the person, who knows where I can find the medicine and it will be with you by tomorrow," I say with urgency.

"Idean, my lady's maid. She knows where to get it."

"What does she look like?"

"She's an older woman with gray hair and brown eyes. She is thick around the waist and always wears a purple handkerchief tied near her hip."

I nod, taking in the information. "You stay here and rest. I will return by tomorrow morning. Aiden will watch over you.

"Please be careful, Leathan," she begs from the bed, her eyes hold concern.

"Worry not, Arabella. Till tomorrow," I tell her, leaving the tent quickly in search of Aiden and Aster. "Aiden, I need you to watch over the princess until I return. She must remain in the tent. Aster, you are coming with me. No one is to know I am gone is that understood," I direct to Aiden, who nods in understanding.