Chapter 18 || My Knight In Shining Armor

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

"I care for the both of you," Aiden began as we danced to the music, "I don't want either of you getting hurt. You made your decision on top of the horse today, but it seems as though that is changing."

"What do you mean? It hasn't" I tried, but he gave me a look that shut me right up.

"Don't try that lassie, anyone with half a brain can see it. I only stepped in to remind you. You asked me to advise him, but you are truly the one with the sound mind. God, works in mysterious ways, perhaps it is best for the two of you-"

"No," I blurt out before he can finish. "Leathan will not be dragged into my affairs. Thank you for interfering, my friend, I will try to be careful in the future." He nods at my outburst.

"If you ask me, having you two together wouldn't look so bad for the cause either," he laughed, before peering at me. "But apart is best. Yep. What was I thinking? That would be disgusting," he said, making a gagging sound for effect. I let out a sigh, and he says, "Come on, Ella, it's time for bed anyhow. We must be off early come morn, for the next town."

"Will it be like this?"

"Better! We are heading to my home! You'll finally get to meet my wife," he smiles with excitement and fondness. "Now, we bought a room for you at the inn. Leathan will be in the room beside to watch out for your safety. Are you okay with that?"

"Of course. Nothing to worry about with me. Thank you again for your concern," I say my voice laced with gratitude.

I say goodnight to my new friends, Joan, John and Julie, before departing to my room at the inn. I could not find Leathan, but I'm sure he is well. Perhaps just not ready for bed, as I am so dutifully forced into.

My few belongings are already in the room, and I quickly take the herbs, having forgotten this morning. Then, I change into the long cotton shirt of Leathan's that I have claimed as my own, and climb into the warm bed. I lay there in the dark room for what seems like an hour waiting, for sleep to find it's way into my head, but alas it does not. Hours must have ticked by when suddenly I hear pounding on my door.

Climbing out of the warm bed, I walk over, and ask, "Who is it?"

"It is me," Leathan says from behind the door, but he sounds off. I open the door immediately, and he stumbles in. His footsteps heavy and slightly uncertain.

"Are you ill?" I question, watching his blue eyes glaze over as he tries to stand straight.

"I'm just fine, Princess," he slurs. His eyes closing for a remarkably long time before opening, once again, and they are unfocused. "Although, I-I'm tippled," he laughed, shaking his frame causing him to lose balance, and fall onto the bed. "Mmm, this is a nice room. You should stay here," he mused, staring at the ceiling.

I couldn't help the small smile appearing on my lips as I watch my knight in shining armor. "I am staying here, silly. As are you," I began, but his head shot up.

"I can not sleep here that would be awful," he said, seriousness washing over his features, but still holding the softness from the liquor. The comment stung, but I tried to suppress it. "How did I get here anyway?" He appeared suddenly confused, trying to get himself up with no avail.

"Leathan lay back down. You must sleep here tonight. The others are back at the tents, and I can't get you to your room on my own."

He began laughing again, "Did you just order me to sleep with you?"

My face was flushed by his words. "No, but yes," I shrugged, going over to help him pull off his boots.

"Mmm, interesting," he sighs. When his boots are sitting on the ground, I try to move his body over to the side with his help. Thankfully the bed is big enough for the both of us to fit comfortably.

When he is settled, I let my eyes fall on his sleepy face. "How did you get like this," I muse to myself, as I climb in on the other side. I snuggle into the bed and find myself turning to face Leathan, only to find him already turned towards me. His lips pulled up just slightly as his blue eyes gaze into mine. Then, slowly I watch his hand move towards my shoulder and pick up a strand of my red curls.

"Mo misneach," he whispers, and I feel my breath catch in my throat. William used to use old Celtic around me all the time, but the way in which Leathan spoke it was fluid, almost dreamlike. It both relaxed my instantly and left a twisting feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can't even be sure what he really said. I only know mo, means mine.

I'm so focused on what he called me, I didn't realize he had moved closer to me. When I was finally pulled out of my thoughts, I peered once again into those blue eyes, and couldn't look away. He held my attention, and there was no retreating. I was captured and was just fine with that. Leathan's gaze shifted from my eyes to my lips, and I knew what was to come next. I had read about it countless times. I had dreamed about the first time a man would take me into his arms and gaze upon me with such love. However, before he leaned forward to seal my excitement. He pulled away, fear evident on his face, but he schooled his features, so quickly I almost didn't believe what I witnessed. He cleared his throat, and whispered, "Good night, princess," before facing the wall. Effectively avoiding me like the plague, I am.

I'm shocked. He let me fall flat. I felt tears prick my eyes once again, but only turned to face the window, and pray sleep came upon me quickly, wanting this day to be over and done with.

I don't recall falling asleep, but I must have, if only for a brief moment, for I was awakened by a shaking of the bed. Leathan's shoulders are shaking lightly, so I push back my blanket and lean over to get a look at his face, only to see his eyes flinching as though he is witnessing horrendous images, and he begins murmuring. "No, no," restlessly.

"Leathan," I whisper, but nothing changes, so I did as I had on the horse, and wrapped my arms around him. Holding him close, if he is going to face this unknown images, he at least won't be alone. I cling to his back burying my face in his shoulder blades, trying to soothe the shaking. "Shh, it's just a dream," I repeat over and over again. Eventually, the shaking subsides, and he stops talking. I began to release my hold on him, but he stopped me. So, I stay like that and find myself fading soon after.

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

Hey, fellow bookworms! So for a little vocabulary lesson, tippled means drunk, according to Oxford dictionary, it came to be in 1564. Fun fact. If you are interested in what Leathan called Arabella, stay tuned the meaning will be revealed soon enough. If you are truly impatient look it up. Thank you so much for your support, and love of the book. Feel free to drop a comment below, I love hearing from you all, and if you enjoyed the chapter, be sure to vote! I update every Tuesday and Thursday.

Thanks again!

Stay Awesome!