Chapter 20|| Yer' Killin' Me, Bonnie

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > 

"How can I be so foolish? Of course, I cannot expect him to remember anything from the night before. He probably doesn't ever recall our near mistake," I continue to say my thoughts aloud as I pad around the quaint room, getting ready for our departure. Leathan told me I had ten minutes to be ready, which is reasonable if one is only preparing one's appearance, but I had to prepare my heart, knowing I will be in close proximity to Leathan for a long day's ride.

"Honestly, Arabella, get a hold of yourself. You already decided, no. Stick to your affections, as a true leader would. I can do this. He is just a man, like all the rest, and if I want to keep him unscathed he must stay that way." I close my eyes and take a few deep soothing breaths, before leaving the comfort of my small room. "Good morn, and farewell," I address the woman, Anna, who runs the inn.

"Good morn, your majesty, and of course. Safe travels, and best of luck."

I nod with a grateful smile, walking out the door. Upon arriving at the hill, where the rest of the men slept for the night, I see Aiden and Leathan conversing, but not before long, Aiden leaves appearing disgruntled.

Leathan turns toward my direction just in time to catch my eye, and he calls, "Princess, we are taking our leave."

"Right, I'm coming."

He helps me up onto Fergus, as he always does, but I notice the second he joins me on the horse that something has changed between us. I'm just not sure what.

Soon I feel Leathan's soft lips far too close to my ear, as he whispers, "Did you sleep well last night?" I swallow the small lump forming in my throat at thoughts of last night. We had been so close to sharing an intimate moment, but he broke it. Did he remember?

"You should know. You were there if I recall correctly."

A bright smile lights up his face at my response, "Aye that I was. Thank you, by the way, for not depositing my drunk arse out of the room."

"I tried, but you were a bit heavy," I admitted.

A deep chuckle emitted from him, as his chest shakes my shoulders gently. As if by magic the fear I had about Leathan vanished, and I was at peace once again, settling in for the long journey. "Leathan, I only just realized you never told me how Idean and William are? I was so nervous about the visit, it completely slipped my mind." What an awful terrible friend am I to forget to ask of them?

"That's understandable. Besides being worried about you, they are both well. William is proud of you," he said, and joy spread through my veins at the praise. "Idean was close to cutting my head off for taking you, but I cannot blame her," he added.

I giggled thinking of the scene, my sweet caring Idean deadly and ready to attack Leathan. The more I thought of it the more hysterical I found it. "She would have won too, uh?"

"Oh, no question about." I can hear the smile in his deep voice.

"I learned at a young age never to go up against Idean."

"Ah, you were a trouble child?"

"Still am, soldier," I winked at him. I'm not sure where that confidence came from, but I don't regret it because Leathan's stunned face quickly melts away to the look I have yet to decipher, but every time it comes a bit of excitement pulses through me. "Now, as I was saying," I tried to scold him but failed miserably.

"Oy, you two," Aiden calls from behind us, "We are almost to Deemis."

"I'm aware, Aiden," Leathan called back.

"Oh good," he said, appearing apologetic, however, it seemed false, there was mischief behind it.

"How close are we?" I voice to Leathan.

"Just up through that passage," he directs, pointing to the opening in the trees. "This is where Aiden's from, so you'll get to meet his wife. A homesick man."

"Shut it, Lea, you know you miss Llayla's cooking," Aiden objected. "No offense, Thomas," he added.

Thomas spoke up then, "Not at all. I miss her cooking as well. I can just taste the mash. Oh lord, it's sinful, truly! In fact, I'll race ye!" He called, before breaking out of formation for the first time, and the men began laughing loudly. We arrived in Deemis in no time.

Aiden announced me, as he had in Grannis, and after I got the chance to meet with some of the locals. Aiden brought us to his house. It's very small, compared to the inn, we stayed in at Grannis. I couldn't believe Aiden could fit in the entry way.

"Hey, good looking," a small woman with vibrant long blonde locks, calls. Her tiny frame jumps into Aiden's arms. He catches her with ease as she cradles his face between her palms and placed sweet kisses all over.

"Yer' killin' me, bonnie," he chuckles, pulling her lips down to his, and sharing an intimate kiss with her. I waited a moment, watching the obvious love and adoration the small woman and kind giant had for one another. I felt a pang of jealousy in my chest.

"Arabella," Leathan's soft lips hovered over my ear, "You ready to try the best damn mash you've ever had?" He asked, his eyebrows doing more talking than his mouth.

"Most certainly," I smiled.

We entered the house, leaving the happy couple outside. Once we were all seated at the small table. Aiden entered, pulling a blushing Llayla behind him. Her hair appeared tangled and disheveled as does Aiden's.

"Aiden, couldn't wait until you had dinner?" One of the men chuckled.

Llayla's eyes snapped straight to the man, and I can see he is a dead man. She may be small, but she is like Aiden; not one to mess with. "John, dear, ye' green monster is shown' and I must say it is an ugly creature for my dinner table. Ye want to keep that tongue ye' best to keep ye' mouth shut." John visibly gulped, and Aiden chuckled hard, squeezing Llayla's hand before releasing her. "Go ahead, and eat, ya animals," she called to the hungry men.

While they were piling their plates with steaming meats and mash, Llayla came to me and motioned for me to join her in the room over.

"Hello, yer majesty. It is a great honor to meet ye," she urged, giving me a slight curtsy, and I returned the gesture.

"You as well. Aiden simply adores you. You two are very lucky," I added.

"Thank ya. He's my knight. I've been a wee bit lost without him," she confessed, blushing.

"I envy you two," I whispered.

"Worry not, yer maj-," she began, but I stopped her.

"Oh, please call me, Arabella," I replied.

She smiled brightly, "Worry not, Arabella. God has a plan for ye. Now, we best get our food before there is nothing left, but bones and skins," she laughed. Clutching my hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > 

Hey, fellow bookworms! What do you think of Aidan's wife, Llayla? Her name is pronounced Lay-la. If I'm being honest, I just wanted it to have the wiggly red line every time I write it like Aiden's and Leathan's. Anyway, I would love to hear from you all, so please drop a comment below, and if you enjoyed the chapter, please vote. Thank you for all of your love and support! I update every Tuesday and Thursday.

Thanks again!

Stay awesome!