Chapter 16 || Address Your People, My Queen

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > 

Leathan slept soundly on my shoulder, the pressure alone left me with a feeling I had not expected. This man, against my better judgment, seems to be wriggling himself into my heart. I listened to his tireless groans as he slept, obviously not being rewarded in sleep with the peace he so greatly needs. I held him tighter to my body, as though, I could somehow wish away the images evading his mind. I tried to push him awake when it seemed to be too much, but nothing, so I continued to hold him as he slept.

Aiden must have seen my nervousness, for he rode to me, "What seems to be the pro-" he began, before taking in the situation. "Is the man out cold?" He asked.

I simply nodded. "He needed his rest, you know as I, but he is faced with terrors," I said sadly, hoping for some sort of explanation from his dear friend.

"Aye, unfortunately, that is the price one must pay, when putting the Kingdom on one's shoulders, for better or worse. Leathan has been driving like a mad man for the cause, and that is bound to take it toll somewhere. It seems only his subconscious will allow him the chance to embrace his fears."

"He mustn't take the weight on his own," I argued.

He chuckled softly, "Aw, Ella, that is something you have not seemed to grasp yet, Leathan does not know how to truly receive help, he tries, but the weight does not lift. Soon he will be a hunch with all he carries, but perhaps you can help?"

I meet his eyes with shock. "What are you implying Aiden?"

"Nothing, dishonorable, just that I have seen the way you two act towards each other, and it is not of a prisoner and captor, nor of a princess and soldier."

I shifted uncomfortably still holding Leathan up, and praying he could not hear the words falling from Aiden's lips. Leathan could never think of me in such a way, and I would not wish him too. I am not so cruel as to love another only to be forced out by the hands of God himself. "Aiden, I ask that you no longer speak of this. If you are truly his friend, you would advise against such thoughts, I am not enough."

"Ella, I am not comprehending your meaning, but I will do as you ask. However, as I said, he is a stubborn man, much like yourself," he smiles. I smirk at him, and he gives me a booming chuckle, drawing the attention of the men.

"Oy, what's brought on the hysterics," I hear Thomas behind us, and shot a glance at Leathan resting, and meet the eyes of Aiden. 

"Nothing to concern you with, Thomas," he calls, but to me says, "Tread lightly, Ella, Lea is a labyrinth in his own right, and it has taken me more than nine years to begin to understand the man. I don't want to see either of you hurt."

I nodded at him quickly.

"Also, you may want to wake our sleeping beauty, we're almost to the town," Aiden noted before falling to his original place.

After not succeeding in waking Leathan up by silent calls, I tried something Idean use to do for me. I began rubbing soothing circles into his hands and felt his arms constrict around my waist on their own. He let out a relaxing sigh, and I felt myself becoming at ease, as he held me. I felt safe, protected, but more than that cherished. In one move Leathan made be feel loved. Focus, I scold myself, for indulging for a brief moment in the feelings I have no right to have. I called to him again and felt him stir behind me.

He instantly put the space between us. So, there is no worry about the two of us being anything more than princess and leader, for he feels nothing. Aiden needs to have his eyes checked when we get to town. I asked Leathan of the terrors, but he simply denied them and claimed to have no recollection of the images haunting his mind. 

I tried to let it go, I want to help him, but as a friend, nothing more. I shall try another time. I decided, as we enter the town, for now, I must convince my people that I am their Princess, and pray they accept me.

Aiden rode close to us now, and the men, but inches apart, as we rode through the busy town. People took note, but few stopped. The stench of this town was not nearly as vile as the last, and the people, although desperate and sad, seem to be far more healthy in stature, and mind.

There is a stage in the center of the town similar to that of Grannis, where the tax meetings were held. Aiden dismounted his horse and handed it off to a young boy."Take care of him, will ya' lad," he instructed. Then, walked over to the stage instantly gaining the attention of the surrounding people.

Leathan helped me off, and gave the reigns to the boy as well, a kind smile on his face.

"Lads and Lassie's gather around, for I, have news to tell, and it will give you hope," Aiden booms, through the square. We are pushed to the side as people flock to him. "Listen, here and listen well. In the mists of darkness and great suffering, the product of the cause will rise and a great light will shine bright and peace will resign over all the land," he recited the prophecy. "Well, that time has come. The blasted King hid her from us, fearing one thought; our hope. But, we have believed in the prophecy and our light is here, may I introduce you to Princess Arabella of Eralibaen," he calls, extending his hand towards me.

The people's eyes are mixtures of uncertainty, excitement, and fear, but I watch in awe as one by one they bow their heads. Aiden smiles over to me, and beckons me to stand on the stage, "Address your people, my queen," he bows, before moving to stand beside Leathan.

"Rise, please, you have spent far too long down. It is your time to be heard. Your time for love, and peace. No more will you die for lack of payment. No longer will families be forced to take the burden of a village and face exile. Together we will know of a wondrous Eralibaen," I announced, bowing my head to them, and heard a chorus of shocked gasps, but I held it for the respectful time, before looking at the sea of faces before me. An elderly woman stood on a barrel, made an unfamiliar gesture to me. She placed her fingertips to her mouth before placing them over her heart. That time I heard Leathan intake a breath, and looked to him. His blue eyes meet mine with pride. He gave me a reassuring nod, before pointing to the crowd before me, and I realized they were all in the same position. 

Although, I don't know the exact meaning of the act, I felt tears prick my eyes at the rush of loyalty and support, from my people, who have suffered so much at the hands of my parents. They did not judge me has harshly as I do myself. They accepted me, and that made me realize maybe my plan was not so ridiculous after all. We can do this!

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > > 

Hey fellow bookworms! What did you think of Arabella's first address to her people? They haven't left the town yet, and there is more to come! Thank you so much for all of your love and support, I truly appreciate it. You guys make writing this story even more joyous. Feel free to leave a comment about any thoughts you have, and if you liked the chapter, be sure to vote! I update every Tuesday and Thursday.

Thanks again!

Stay awesome!