Chapter 24 || Innocents Blood Spilt

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

The knocking persisted. Leathan and I climbed out of bed, walking to the hallway in time to see Llayla and Aiden at the their door. We made eye contact, but Aiden seemed to look between us in shock, before he was back to business. So, Llayla must have kept us a secret.

"I'm going to go down, and find out what all this commotion is about," Llayla stated cooly. Aiden did not appear happy about Llayla's decision, but he nodded in acceptance. We watched her leave down the stairs and listened to the door open. "What is wrong with you? Waking us up at this hour," she asked in a frustrated whisper.

"Sorry Llayla. May I speak to Leathan and Aiden?" Thomas voiced hurriedly.

"We're here," Leathan called down when he realized there was no threat from the door. I stood beside Llayla as we watched the men talk. Leathan did not look happy. When his blue eyes found mine I saw fear, but not at the situation, for what I might do.

"What is going on?" I ask, taking my rightful place beside them.

"We need to leave," Thomas said, "The King's Men have been spotted just over the horizon. They are setting up camp, and planning a search tomorrow."

"Then, what's the problem? Let's just go," I say. Each one of them looked away from me. What are they not saying?  "Tell me," I demand from Thomas, who had to deliver the information to his Princess.

"The army in search of 'the missing maid' has been ordered to kill one person for every day she is missing," he said slowly, knowing I would need time to process this.

How many days have I been missing? When I was kidnapped. One life was taken because of me.

When Dand died. Another life died somewhere because of me.

When I learned to swim. Another life.

When I laid beneath the stars.

When I danced with Leathan.

When Leathan I and shared a kiss.

Tomorrow will be another. I can't let this happen anymore. "Arabella," Leathan said firmly, trying to break me out of my thoughts. I felt him shake my shoulders gently, but I needed more time.

I killed six innocent people. My people. They had families and loved ones and dreams. I know what I have to do then. "I have to go," I stated firmly.

"No," Leathan replied, taking hold of my arm. "That is what they want, and it is not an option," he added, narrowing his gaze at me.

"If it means the stop of innocent people dying, then it is what they'll get too," I state unflinching at his new tone.

"The plan stays, we just move it up. We don't have time to go to every town," he begins talking as though I hadn't just spoken up.

I can sneak out, no more have to die. This can just be over with. We can figure something out once I'm with them. It's not like my father is actually there. It will take at least two days to get back.

"Thomas, you will ride ahead. Tell Aster and Davison we'll be there in two days time, and to be ready for a fight," Leathan continues giving orders.

"Leathan that's two more innocent people," I argue. "Just listen please, I stay here with Llayla, and in the morning I go to the King's Men," I began, but I can tell Leathan is seconds from throwing me over his shoulder, and taking me wherever he sees fit. "While I'm with them, you and the others go back to camp and prepare the army. In less than two days time, the King's Men and I shall be within reach of the Castle. The perfect time to attack. No innocents blood spilled, and it's almost the same as your plan," I finish.

"The only difference is in my plan you stay with us, and you aren't running into danger," he fires back.

"If it was anyone else, you would have said 'yes' in a heartbeat, and you know it," I remind him.

"But it is not anyone else. It's you!" He shouts, taking me into his arms. "It's you. You stubborn woman!" Leathan appears so torn.

Aiden clears his throat. "I agree with the Princess's plan. She is strong, and the men won't dare hurt a woman," he says, but I can tell he's lying on the last part. The King's Men are ruthless. I recall watching some of them train. They care not of gender or age. Aiden is saying this for comfort. He looks at me with sad, yet proud eyes.

"I too agree with the Princess," Thomas voices in the midst of the tension. Leathan shoots them both deadly glares and then clashes eyes with me. I hold my ground. Not flinching, or lowering my gaze.

"Thomas," Leathan begins, his eyes still glued to mine. "Go ready the men and the horses. We leave tonight." Then he lets out a hard breath. "Llayla prepares some foods for the men," he says, but then adds, "Please," and I can hear her leave. "Aiden, you and I are to train Arabella on basic self-defense, for her next two days without us. We leave in three hours, move!"

Everyone worked like a well-oiled machine preparing for the journey, Aiden and Leathan trained me on basic maneuvers I could use to get out of a person's hold, how to take someone's weapon, and the best places to hit or kick a man. I'm not a master now by any means, but I have any idea of what to do, which is far more than I had.

I would probably feel more confident in my fighting ability if I hadn't fallen so many times when attempting a kick at Aiden, or missed tremendously when throwing a punch at Leathan. No one laughed, for they knew it was a matter of life what I learned it that short time. Not once did Leathan say anything, in regards to this not working, even though, I could tell how scared he really was.

"It's time to go," Aiden stated finally, not meeting my eyes.

"Aiden, we'll be right back," Leathan said, taking my hand, and pulling me up the stairs to the room we shared only hours ago. He pressed my back up against the door, his hands holding my face to him. "Please, be careful. I can't lose you now, Arabella," he voices rough with emotion, as his blue eyes searched my eyes for something. "I love you," he whispered, before lowering his face and gently kissing my lips, but the soft passion turned to desperation and sadness, as we shared our last moment.

By hands explored his back, and finally ended up in his raven black hair, trying to get him closer to me. I don't want to be away from him. I pulled back, and he seemed disappointed. "I love you too," I breathed out. He leaned his forehead onto mine and smiled that gorgeous smile that I have come to realize he saves only for me. "I will come for you, grá mo chroí," he said, and I waited for him to tell me the meaning of what he said. "I'll tell you when I see you again, grá mo chroí," he added with a wink.

"I'll be waiting," I whispered, wrapping my arms firmly around his torso, still not ready to let go. I feel him place a sweet kiss in between my brows.

"It won't be for long," he replies, before pulling back. "If I don't go now, I never will. For now, Mo Misneach."

"For now," I whisper, sadness trying to sneak it's way into my voice, but I won't let it. Then, he leaves, out the door. I stand in the same place and listen to the sound of his shoes speeding out the door. Moments later, I hear horses galloping outside, away from town. I feel my heart being carried farther from my being with every hoof that hits the mountain top.

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

Hey, fellow bookworms! Yes, grá mo chroí does have a really meaning to it! I really hope you all enjoyed this latest chapter, I will most definitely being going back to edit it later (yay to writing, while playing with puppy!) Feel free to drop a comment below, regarding your thoughts, I love hearing from you all, and if you liked the chapter, be sure to vote! Thank you for all of your love and support for this story! I update every Tuesday and Thursday, so I'll see you next week!

Thanks again!

Stay awesome!