Chapter 26 || I Killed A Man, Lass

< < < < - - - - - - - - - - - - - > > > >

"It's time," Llayla whispered. She had been keeping a watch on my father's men. "They seem to be stirring."

My stomach contracted at the thought of going to them. I created the plan, but that didn't mean I was fond of it.

"Before I forget, Leathan had me make you this," Llayla smiled, handing me a necklace with a small pouch. I took a quick peek inside, only to discover my herbs. He thought of a way to transport them, I thought to find myself grinning. A small ache began to grow within my chest at the thought of him being miles away from me. Llayla placed it over my head, so it hung loosely around my neck, and I tucked it into my bodice.

"Thank you, Llayla, for everything." I smiled, and she took me by the shoulders, for a quick comforting embrace.

"I'll see you at the end," she nodded strongly, her features so sure, this was not our last.

"Till then," I replied, before swiftly leaving the front door. I walked through the town, and up the hill until I saw the outline of a tent.

"Halt!" Someone calls out to me. "Who goes there?"

"I am the one you seek!" I shout back, as firmly as I can.

"Walk slowly forward, and place your hands high into the air," the man orders. I did as he said, and moments later, I feel the tip of a dagger at my neck. "Stay still, and your neck won't be silt." I can smell the vile breath of the man as his words hit my face. I was about to nod in understanding, but then truly realized what he stated. He roughly grabbed my hands, and another man began tying them tightly together. I've been tied before, and only now realize how loose Leathan and the others had made my restraints. These men pulled them so tightly I felt tears prick my eyes, but I stayed still, and kept whimpers from leaving my mouth.

"Filthy traitor. It's a good thing you came when you did, Lucas was itching for another to kill." The man holding the dagger to my neck remarks. The man tying the rope snickers, before pushing me forward. I was brought into the camp like a criminal.

"You're rather beautiful for a ladies maid," the man that tied my hands voiced, and I feel rough hands caress the side of my face. I pull away in disgust.

The man with the dagger chuckles. "Awe, she's a fighter. We like that," he whispered in my ear, sending an unwelcome shudder down my spine. I close my eyes and focus. They seem to be taking me to the leader's tent. Maybe the man there is one I know. The name Lucas sounds familiar, but how do I know it? And what is this filthy traitor business? Surely, my father didn't say I escaped?

When we reached the tent, the man flung me through the entrance. "We found her," he announced with pride.

"Ha, hardly," I said without realizing.

"What was that?" The man in the center of the tent, questioned, turning slowly to face me. "You dare speak in the presence of the King's Men? Do you wish to die?" I meet his eyes with disdain, and there I saw it. His golden brown eyes were wicked. He is an evil man. He didn't raise his voice when he spoke as one would think but kept it calm, menacing. He raised a single brow as he carefully observed me. "You are either a very brave young girl or an immensely ignorant one. I have yet to decide, but the King seems to want you for some odd reason."

"Richard, she is to stay with you. No one touches her that is an order. The King wants her in pristine condition. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir," the man with the dagger replies.

"We pack immediately. Daniel informs Lucas to let the woman go back to the village. There is no need for his tactics today," the leader, ordered the second man.