Chapter 5

Trinity asked for three things. The first thing was for a letter to be sent to her home to let her family know that she was alright.

The second thing was for something to wear as walking around in her was nothing short of inappropriate.

And the third thing was to be given the right to handle this situation as she saw fit. She had no real intentions of actually falling in love with the brutish man but she'd at least do Ailbeart a favor and help reform the man a bit. She'd teach him some manners even if she had to force them into him.

Ailbeart had, of course, complied with her wishes, hoping to keep her content while she was there. She had been a given a dress that belonged to one of them maids, it fit her horribly as the woman it belonged to was much bustier then she was but it would do. She had written a short letter with a quickness before handing it over to Ailbeart.

Now she was merely wandering around the large estate, her hazel eyes exploring the place she was to live with genuine curiosity. If she were to be living in the place for a month, wouldn't it only make since to get and know her surroundings?

She turned the corner turned, walking through a lounge filled to the brim with expensive draping and furniture.

She noted that many of the rooms lacked any real feminine touches. She frowned at the thought but kept it in the back of her mind as she headed to the next room. The sound of laughter halted her in her steps and she turned on her heels, headed for the large window on the other side of the room. She peered through the curtains and gasped when her eyes fell on Artair. He was laughing as he chased after the stable boy, his brown hair blowing casually behind him and shinning in the sun.

She couldn't lie, the man was absolutely gorgeous...He looked as if he could make any woman fall to her knees in lustful appreciation. She tsked...if only his attitude matched his temper. She continued watch him play with the child for a moment, noticing how patient he was with the child. The two were suddenly rolling in the grass, wrestling playfully. The stable boy yelled in triumphant when he got Artair on his back.

Artair laughed before tickling the boy, making him sputter and giggle in his attempt to avoid Artair's busy fingers.

She couldn't quite help the smile that broke out on her lips at the scene. It almost made her think he was much gentler than he actually was...almost.

As if he could feel her eyes on him, he suddenly paused, turning to look up. He met her eyes, a scowl forming across his handsome face.

He mouthed 'screechin' wench' at her and she gasped before slamming the curtains shut. The man most definitely needed some manners, she mussed irritably.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She's rather pretty, she is." Ean mumbled as he limped to Artair's side.

Artair huffed, rolling his eyes toward the heavens. "I never said she wasn't. But I'm not marryin' her. The woman looks far too uppity for my taste anyway."

Ean tilted his head in thought, "Maybe she's not so bad, you get to know her."

Artair stared down at Ean, raising a brow, "Did my father put ya' up to this, boy? Not even you can convince me that the wench is worth marriage."

Ean shrugged, shifting from one foot to another. Artair noticed and frowned before ruffling the boy's hair. "Is your leg still botherin' ya' lass?"

Ean blushed crimson, mumbling quietly, "No."

"Don't lie to me, boy. You should know better." Artair said. Artair had found Ean alone and basically starving on his way to England months ago. The boy had been extremely skinny and barely spoke and he had also had a bum leg. Artair had gladly taken the boy in. Now, looking at the boy and seeing him as healthy and energetic as any other child left him with a warm feeling deep down inside his chest. The boy was like a son to him and he valued Ean much more than he was willing to admit.