Epilogue

"Are you sure you're up for this?" Lafayette asked Trinity as they climbed into the waiting carriage. It had been three weeks since Trinity had returned home and she was finding it harder and harder to fake her feelings.

The fake smiles were starting to wear thin and her heart was constantly aching. She was sure her emotions were apparent. She had never been able to hide anything, she was the type that left everything out in the open without even realizing it.

She smiled at her cousin, "Of course, I'm fine. Really I am. I do wish you and everyone else for that matter would stop coddling me!"

Lafayette frowned. "When are you going to be honest? It's obvious you know...anyone with eyes can see that you're unhappy. You can't go on like this, faking smiles and laughter. It's not good for you."

Trinity looked down at her hands and sighed. She had yet to tell anyone of what had happened. She didn't trust herself to not burst into tears at the mention of Artair. The trust was...she missed him terribly. More than she should. She missed his voice. She missed his arrogance. She missed the feel of his arms around her. She felt as if she were suffocating and yet she refused to succumb to her feelings by letting them show.

"I'm fine, Faye. Can't we just enjoy the ball?" Trinity asked with seriousness, hoping her cousin would drop the conversation.

Lafayette sighed, crossing her arms. "Fine but you can't hide forever, Trinity. You have to talk one day or you'll never let it go."

The carriage came to an abrupt stop and Trinity sighed with relief when the door opened. Her mother and father had decided to come along, more than eager to continue to spend time with her. Her whole family was constantly surrounding her after her return. They were overbearing at times and yet she didn't truly mind. They had every right to be this way.

Her father helped her out and did the same for Lafayette. They entered the large ballroom in a well-dressed group. Lafayette chattered away, talking of the tales in the new book she had recently purchased.

Jewel laughed at something Lafayette said. Emile stayed close to Trinity, refusing to leave her side after losing her once. The music in the air was a lovely tune, reminiscent of the romance to come.

It made Trinity smile wistfully as she watched the couples dance.

"I know I am old but I hope that you will dance with me." Emile bowed slightly holding out a hand to his daughter.

Trinity grinned before taking her father's hands. "You're not old, papa."

He walked her to the dance floor before holding her in the proper position. "You flatter me darling."

She laughed as he twirled her around. They danced over and over again and for once in a long while her mind drifted off and she enjoyed herself. The song stopped and another began.

As Trinity danced once more with her father she couldn't help but notice the sudden excitement in the room. Female chatter grew with a sounding crescendo that generally only happened when a new prospect arrived. But Trinity was much too preoccupied with her own enjoyment to realize the entrance of the tall, handsome, brown haired man that made a beeline for her.

Her father spun her and she gasped when she knocked into a hard chest.

"I'll be stealin' this dance." A familiar voice mumbled gruffly before locking her in his arms.

She looked up, her eyes widening in disbelief when they met Artair's.

Her jaw dropped and for a moment she was speechless as they moved across the dance floor. "W...Wh-why? Wh-what are you doing here?" She finally managed.

He didn't answer her at first, but merely tightened his arms around her, yanking her closer than was appropriate for a proper dance. But she didn't care. She melted against him, her lashes fluttering.

He leaned down, his lips brushing her ear, "I didna' appreciate returnin' to find you gone, woman. You didna' even tell me goodbye." His voice was husky.

She stiffened slightly, "I had no reason to tell you goodbye. I am not obligated to you."

He sighed at her answer. "Ya' are not a good liar, lass."

She glared at him, "I have not lied about anything!"

He leaned toward her, "You love me, Trinity. Did you think I was oblivious to it?"

She froze, refusing to move another inch. She stared up at him, her eyes gleaming. "I don't...I...I...oh, fine! I do love you, Artair. I'll admit it but I won't be led around by a string!"

He tilted his head at her, ignoring all the stares they got from the others around them as they stood in the middle of the dance floor. "Do you think I donna love you?"

She blushed, her eyes as wide as saucers, "Do you? Do you love me?"

He cupped her face in his hands, "Yes, I do love you. I love you, Trinity. I love how stubborn you are and I love the fact that you didna' give up on me when I was being foolish. I even love yer screechin'."

She laughed, "How many times do I have to tell you I do not screech?!"

"I'm sorry I didna' tell you sooner. It had never crossed my mind that you didna' know and I left my feelins' in actions and that wasna' enough. I realize now that you need to hear it and I willna' be afraid to tell you it. I'll tell you I love you every day if it pleases you."

She smiled up at him, "You really have changed, haven't you?"

"Because of you, Trinity. I'll always thank you for it."

She blinked back tears, her voice choking on a sob, "You needn't thank me...well, maybe you should. I am a genius after all."

"I've missed you, woman." He smiled as he leaned down to kiss her.

She pushed up on her tiptoes, "Oh, I've missed you more!" She proclaimed as she met him, kissing him back with vigor as his hands slid down her body, hugging her close.

Emile's jaw dropped, Jewel smiled and Lafayette sighed dreamily.

"Don't you just love happy endings, aunt Jewel?" Lafayette asked as she watched her cousin contentedly.

Jewel laughed, too busy holding Emile back. "You can't kill him, you fool. Trinity would hate you for it."

Emile gave Jewel a hard stared, his eyes narrowed, his eye patch giving him a deadly appearance. "Then hate me she must."

Jewel laughed again before leaning up and kissing his cheek. "You won't lay a hand on that handsome head of his, its rather obvious that our daughter loves the man. Doesn't she look happy to you?"

Emile didn't turn to look, his attention stayed on his wife. "Handsome? You think he is handsome? I'll definitely kill him, now."

Jewel chuckled, "Would you stop it? You know you're the handsomest man I've ever met."

He tsked before yanking her into his arms, his eyes landing on Trinity as she smiled up at the man holding her tightly in his arms. Anyone with eyes could see the obvious love in both of their eyes. Emile sighed, he knew that killing the man was out of the question especially after seeing how happy Trinity was.

"I shall not kill him...yet." Emile mumbled, his voice thick with amusement and relief at knowing his daughter was no longer unhappy. "But I will need compensation, mon amour."

Jewel grinned, "Shall I let you paint me?"

Emile raised a brow, "How many times?"

"As much as you like but only," she looked toward the dance floor once more, "if you promise not to murder the man."

Emile sighed again before smiling, "You drive a hard bargain but for you my angel, I accept."

Lafayette smiled at all the love around her, a sigh escaping her lips. Wasn't romance a wonderful thing?

*Comment, like and share!*