Chapter 10

She had no idea how to fix this situation. She was slightly upset with herself for promising the man that she would help. How on earth was she supposed to help when she was afraid to even be in the same room with Artair?

She had spent the last two days pacing, thinking, and trying to rack her brain for some semblance of an idea...something!

She was virtually useless in this situation. The only way she would be able to break through Artair's shell would be to confront him head on...but dear, God, the man had threatened with her pleasure! Pleasure!

Though she did not act it, she was terrified of being caught in his path or in his arms. She thought to call his bluff but something told her that he had been more than serious.

She groaned into her hands. What on earth was she going to do?

She needed to learn to keep her big, compassionate mouth shut!

She sighed before standing up straight. She had been avoiding Artair for days and she was sure that he knew it. He probably thought that she had given up...she frowned, far from it.

She picked up her skirt in her hand and walked briskly toward the door. There was only one person with the ability to even make Artair smile, to bring concern to his eyes and laughter to his lips...Ean.

Ean was the only one who Trinity had truly seen bring happiness to Artair. Ean was the key to unlocking all the pent up anger and denial Artair felt. Trinity ran full speed out of the house, headed for the stable.

She nearly tripped over her own feet with the force of her excitement to find Ean. She had no idea how she was going to do this but maybe seeing him...talking to him...she stopped running.

What was she doing? She did not know but her thoughts did not deter her from pushing her way inside the stable.

She paused at what lay before her. Lying together on a bed of hay was Ean nestled in Artair's arm. Ean's head was settled in the crook of Artair's arm, his little arms and legs thrown over Artair's chest. The scene was rather adorable...at least it would have been if Artair were asleep as well. He wasn't.

His eyes fell on her the moment she walked in. She blushed at the intensity of his gaze. Though it had only been a matter days she felt as if she hadn't seen him in weeks. She took a step back but he stopped her.

"Are you done hidin' from me now, woman?" He asked teasingly as he stood, pulling Ean up in his arms with gentle ease. Before she could say anything else he carried Ean into a room that she hadn't noticed before. She followed after him, curiosity getting the best of her.

"Does he sleep here? Out here in the stable all by himself?" She whispered in protest as not to wake him.

The room was extremely small, only large enough to accommodate a small bed and a desk.

Artair placed Ean on the bed before walking out of the room and pulling out behind him. "He has a room in the house, he's a child I would never allow him to sleep out here on his own."

Trinity almost pointed out that stable boys tended to sleep in the stable but she held her tongue, the last thing she wanted was to draw any attention to herself at this point.

She took several steps away from him, heading in the direction of the house.

"I'll be going now, I promised your father I would drink tea with him...," she lied quickly as she turned on her heel, attempting to make a break for it. She didn't get far at all.

He grabbed a handful of her skirt, yanking her back against his chest. She gasped before grabbing for his hand and trying to pry his hand off her dress.