Chapter 25

Once we got back to Stark Tower, Tony offered a drink to anyone that needed it, but I stuck with apple juice, the juice of the Gods.

When everyone got their own drinks and settled down around that same counter, everyone cracked a smile. We didn't need to say anything, a grin would do the job just fine.

Fury told us that once they had Cordelia was in custody, they were putting her in a psychiatric ward and apparently diagnosed her with Schizophrenia. He told us she had a very hard time with distinguishing between what was normal or not. Her brother, Joseph was to be sent off to a S.H.I.E.L.D facility where they would see if he could be trained for combat missions. It was either that or Fury threatened him to go to jail.

As for the organization of Cyclops, all of the rats sunk with the ship. S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were sent to bases that Cordelia pointed out and they were quickly and swiftly infiltrated and diminished. Fury wanted the Cyclops agents to a prison as close to Alcatraz as possible but he was denied and they were allowed to be free but under the watchful eye of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s cameras and agents.

"What next?" Tony asked and took a sip of his booze.

"We could go bowling," Natasha suggested and we all laughed a little.

"Sorry, sweetheart, but I would win," Clint said and shrugged with pride and a smirk.

"I don't know about you guys but I think I'll take a nap," Banner said.

"I must return to Asgard," Thor stated.

"Aw common Hammerhead, you have to do something more fun then that," Tony told him and Thor nodded.

"You are right. I will have a large feast," he said, as if he doesn't already have one everyday. We all laughed at the thought of it.

"Stark you owe me twenty dollars," Nat said and held out her hand.

"Alright, alright, but I'm not admitting I was wrong," Tony replied, digging in his pockets for his wallet and taking out a twenty dollar bill which Natasha took willingly.

"What did you guys bet on?" I asked as I sipped my juice and Nat smiled.

"I bet Tony that Steve was going to kiss you. Clearly, I won," Natasha replied.

"I thought Cap wouldn't have the guts to do it and you would," Tony grumbled. Steve and I turned a couple shades of red until everyone chuckled.

Once we finished our drinks we all went to go say goodbye to Thor as he used the gigantic beam and was brought back to Asgard. We then all dispersed to our rooms and said goodnight. Just before I started to put on my pajamas, a knock came from my door. When I opened it, there was Steve, half smiling and half nervous.

"Amelia, I hope I did not ruin anything. It just ever since you beat me to that tree, I've always sort of liked you. And that's all I had prepared because the truth is that's as far as I thought I would get," Steve told me and I smiled. I placed my hands on the back of his neck, stood on my toes, and kissed him. A rush of bliss ran through me because I missed the feel of his lips on mine. When I let go and stood flat footed again, I smiled.

"Ahhhhh," I exhaled, "Patriotic."

Steve laughed at that, remembering our meeting and I laughed, too. "So I didn't ruin anything?"

"Not a chance."

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

The next day, I woke up earlier then everyone else. I wandered to find myself breakfast but instead found an interesting surprise.

"Mother," I acknowledged but kept walking.

"Amelia, listen," Agent White said and grabbed my elbow. "Your dad talked to me—"

"That's a first," I remarked but she continued.

"And he told me that you were worried about not being, what's the word?"

"Doesn't matter. The word or my worries. Everything is fine. Dad helped me."

"I know, I just, Amelia I want my daughter back. I want what we had when you were younger and learning the ropes. Where you would ask for help or ask me questions. Where you would laugh when you tripped and I would scold you and you would laugh harder. Where after a training session we would get a smoothie and you would tell me about your life," my mother spilled. She said it so fast I'm not even she she knew she said that. "I pushed you too hard, and I only pushed you away. That's the opposite of what I wanted to do, Amelia. The complete opposite. And I'm sorry."

As she said the last three words, her eyes were locked onto mine. And when she was done, her head hung lower then I've ever seen. For that moment, gone was the tough agent who was respected and could kill you before you even said White. Now, it was my mom. The one I had smoothies with and laughed at and asked questions to. It was my mom, who just wanted a better life for me even though we have different view of what a good life is. It was my mom.

I pulled her in for a hug. She held me tight so that she wouldn't lose me again and we stayed like that for a long time. When I let go, I smiled at her. " I forgive you," I told her. I don't think I truly forgave her in that moment, but it was the start of forgiveness.

My mom smiled at me, happy to be able to hold her little girl again. "Your dad also told me to tell you to visit more often. But not as an escape," she said. I nodded and we got breakfast together and caught up.

•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

"How are you doing?" I asked as I sat on the made bed. Her room looked a tad bit dull but I never told her that.

"Better then yesterday," Cordelia responded, her usual response.

"I brought the candy that you ordered," I told her and took it out of the plastic bag that crinkled as I grabbed the bag. Cordelia's eyes widened and reached for the sack of goodness. Cordelia started to open a piece but stopped and put it down.

She looked me in the eyes and smiled, "Thank you," she said.

"No problem. Did you want anything else? Like maybe I can sneak in some coffee. Oh and your brother—" I started to say but Cordelia stopped me.

"I meant thank you, for everything," she said. I gave her a soft smile, knowing exactly what she meant. Knowing the pain and the anxiety she once felt. Knowing the slight relief there is to feeling like everything is right with the world.

Throughout life, we are taught that normal is what you should aspire to be. It is something that should be praised for. But the problem with that is there is no example of normal. Sure there is the classic picture with the 1950s family that are smiling. But even they had their issues, I guarantee. Everyone has obstacles to face, whether they are big or small, they all matter. And we all try and jump over them but sometimes, they can not be ignored. They stand taller then you ever will and are as solid as a brick wall. With that said, brick walls can be broken. Not just with the tools in your hand but the determination in your mind. The thought that whatever is on the other side of that wall is waiting for you can drive you forward.

I do not mean to sound like my dad with a lecture about life, but reassurance and believing in myself and even admitting I was afraid of something all helped me destroy that brick wall until it was just crumbs. And sure, some of the dust has settled on me and the presence will remain, but that will never stop me.

"Well, I try my hardest."

•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•

HELLO EVERYONE. I AM SO SORRY FOR GOING SO LONG WITHOUT PUBLISHING ANYTHING. EVERYTHING KIND OF GOT CRAZY ON ME THESE PAST MONTHS.

ANYWHO, AS YOU MAY HAVE GUESSED , THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER. I KNOW RIGHT?! IM GOING TO BE EDITING IT AND I MOST LIKELY WITH NEVER BE SATISFIED BUT YOU KNOW THE DEAL.

I WANTED TO THANK ALL OF THE READER WHO KEPT READING THIS STORY EVEN THOUGH IT DIDN'T ALWAYS MAKE SENSE OR HAVE A NEW CHAPTER EVERY WEEK. THANK YOU IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT.

LOVE YOU AND THANK YOU!!!