Dares and Double Dares

Teresa Elizabeth Brookes did not actually mean what she was about to say, just saying.

She loved jokes, and that was probably going to be her downfall. James Potter also liked jokes, and that was also probably going to be his downfall. Well, either that or someone murdering him. And I'm only telling you this because it's true.

Teresa, or as most called her, Tessa Brookes, had been quietly reading by the Great Lake when she was rudely interrupted by nearby shouts and a loud dispute.

She looked up from her book and saw the redhaired infatuation of James Potter (aka Lily Evans) march over to Severus Snape, a fellow Slytherin (unfortunately), and the (what do they call themselves? she tried to remember: Idiot Marmalades? Marshmallows? Marauders?).
Never mind the formalities, the infamous Gryffindor group consisting of James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew.

She could see it now: the brains, the looks, the dedicated but undervalued, and the leader. Though not in that order.

It seemed like the Marauders were tormenting poor Severus again but, to their disadvantage, Lily Evans, his- from what she observed- best and only friend was there to defend him.

Honestly, she had nothing against Lily. She was nice and kind and didn't deserve any of what happened next. Tessa found Severus quite annoying for doing what he didn't but she couldn't didn't blame him entirely. However, she felt like murdering the obnoxious Marauders for being such utter pricks and destroying a friendship just because 1/4 of their stupid group was infatuated with Lily.

This is how the scene played out:

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" The redhead yelled. She hated when this happened and it happened quite a lot. Stupid Marauders. They found so much delight in bullying her best friend and she had no idea why.

Since the first day of first year, James Potter and Severus Snape had been sworn nemesis which led to all of the Marauders picking on him too.

"Leave him alone," she repeated as if they did not hear her the first time. Lily Evans looked straight at the messy haired, bespectacled boy with as much disapproval as she could (it wasn't that hard to do).

She was tired of his antics, of his bullying, of his awkward and embarrassing infatuation for her. (For the last five years, mind you). Of him in general.

"What's he done to you?"

"Well," James said slowly and carefully, as if he was choosing the exact words that would give the effect he wanted,"it's more the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean..."

Lily Evans was done with his shit.

"You think you're so funny," she whispered venomously. It came out colder than she had intended, but the reaction she recieved from James satisified her.

"But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone."

She looked around. There was a crowd formed around them all; around Potter, Severus, her.

Lily Evans frowned. She didn't want to attract this much attention. She hated attention. Severus was probably mortified.

The redhead looked around once more and saw a girl wearing a Slytherin uniform sitting by a tree not too far away, watching. Observing. She wanted to walk up to her and ask her what she was doing, why she was just sitting there but this was not the right time. Her thoughts were interrupted by an infuriating James Potter.

"I will if you go out with me, Evans," He said quickly, as if he thought the opportunity was best now. As if he could just blackmail her like that.

"Go on. Go out with me and I'll never lay a hand on old Snivelly again."

She couldn't believe it. Was he really that much of an arse? Was this really all going to lead up to this? She thought about it. Severus was her best friend and she hated seeing him tormented by James and his little band of annoying pricks. But dating James Potter was out of the question. She would never. She felt so helpless, so unsure...

And that's when she heard it. The awful, sickening word.

"Mudblood."

•••

Tessa was too far away to hear the exact sequence of words used by Snape but it was evident by all the shocked faces and quiet murmurs that the word had been said.

She looked on and saw Lily's horrified and disgusted expression at her once best-friend. Snape seemed to instantly regret the words he uttered as soon as they had come out but he couldn't seem to speak at the current moment. James Potter just smirked.

She swore Lily glanced at her before running from the scene. She wanted to help, she really did, but it seemed like the last thing the poor girl needed was another Slytherin (one she didn't know at that) approaching her.

Suddenly there was another flash of light and, once again, Severus was hanging upside down in the air.

"Who wants to see me take off Snivelly's pants?"