Chapter 7

Roman drives. We head out to the Golden Gate Bridge, wearing shorts and running shoes. Theo's brilliant idea for our first weekend activity was to walk across the bridge, but when we finally parked and I saw how far away the other side was, I had second thoughts.

We're only a quarter of the way across when Theo throws up his hands in defeat and says, "Bad idea, guys! Let's go get some pizza."

So we find a pizza place on the corner of a busy street and eat as we watch tour buses and trolleys pass. Roman and Theo eat four pizzas between the two of them. I only eat one and a half. Afterwards, we're all so full we don't want to move.

Suddenly, Theo sits up quickly. "Fleet Week is next week!" he exclaims. Roman rolls his eyes.

"For the last time, Theo, I don't want to look at a bunch of boats!" he complains. Theo ignores him.

"Wanna skip school on Monday and go to an air show, Birdie?"

I shrug. "Sure. What's fleet week?"

"A bunch of Navy ships dock here and there are air shows you can watch from the beach. It's pretty fun."

"And you said I can skip school?"

Theo smiles. "Yup."

Roman raises an eyebrow. "She's only been here a couple of days, Theo. She can't miss school already."

Theo and I pout.

"Okay, mom," Theo says.

"Thanks, killjoy," I whine.

After a moment, Roman throws his hands up in the air.

"Fine! We'll go on Monday!"

Theo fist pumps. I smile widely. Roman looks at me, his eyes on mine. My smile falters; his gaze is too deep. Then, he smiles back, more amused than happy.

"I don't think I've seen you smile for real," he says. Then he chuckles. "You're cuter than I thought."