Chapter 8

Monday morning is bright. I'm up early to get ready to ditch school for the first time ever. I'm pumped.

Theo and Roman are already dressed and ready. They wait impatiently for me, watching Spongebob in the living room. 

When I'm finally ready, we all jump in the car and head for the piers. 

There are huge boats docked. Guys in sailor uniforms mingle in their shadows. 

It's really hard to find parking but Roman eventually pulls into a space that the car barely slides into. The three of us get out and look around. 

"Food trucks!" Theo yells in excitement, hurrying towards a gathering of people with food in their hands. 

Roman hurries after him, then seems to remember me. He turns around and grabs my hand. 

"Come on," he says. 

I let him lead me after Theo to the food trucks. 

We all order steamed pork buns. They remind me of the ones mom used to make. Hers were better. 

After we've eaten, we make our way towards the water to see the view. We line up on the edge of the sidewalk overlooking the ocean and breathe in the salty air. The Golden Gate Bridge looms to our right. 

"You three here for Fleet Week?" asks a deep voice. We all turn around to see a young Navy guy in his uniform smiling at us. "Welcome! Are you guys from around here?"

"Yeah, we're locals," answers Roman coolly. I glance at him. Is he saying I'm a local? 

The sailor smiles. He looks like an Asian version of Matt Dillon in the Outsiders.  "I'm Tom," he says. "I'm from New York."

"Wow! New York! What part? New York City?" asks Theo.

"Yup, the Big Apple."

Roman looks uncomfortable. I want to ask him if he's okay, but Theo butts in, saying, "Let's show you around, Tommy boy! The city's more fun with tour guides."

So Theo throws his arm around Tom's shoulder, even though Tom is taller than him, and starts walking away. 

I look at Roman. "You okay?" I ask him, gently touching his arm. 

He shakes me off. "I'm fine," he grunts. 

"Are you sure? You don't look fine."

Roman glares at me. "My stomach hurts," he admits weakly. 

I stifle a laugh. "Is that all? Your face looked like you were gonna murder someone!" 

The edges of his mouth turn up, but he tries to stop himself from smiling. 

"Let's go," I tell him. "You'll be fine."