Chapter 11

I have to go back to school the next day. Roman's still sick so Theo takes me. Theo's in a good mood because he and Tom are going to be pen pals and he's super excited about buying fancy stationary today.

At school, it's no different from my first day. I eat with the same girls at lunch. I bomb a pop quiz because I've missed half the school year and ditched yesterday when they had a review.

I have to work harder, though. I'm not trying to flunk out of high school.

Maybe Roman will tutor me.

I blush thinking about his hand around mine, but I try to shake it off. He was probably delirious or something. He did almost faint.

I walk home. Theo's got a class.

The sky is grey and foggy, classic San Francisco weather. I feel a chill in the air and zip up my jacket.

When I arrive home, I make Roman soup without thinking. I bring it to his room, but he's sleeping, so I set it on his drawer. As I turn to leave, he mutters something. At first I think he's talking to me, but when I check, he's still fast asleep.

"Roman?" I ask, shaking his shoulder gently. "Are you okay?"

Without opening his eyes, he grabs the back of my head and pulls me towards him. Before, I know what's happening, our lips touch.

I pull away in a panic.

"What the heck?" I yell.

Roman turns over.

Is he still asleep?

What was that?