Chapter 18

By the time the pizza is gone, we've plotted a whole path. Our destination is Forks, Washington, the town where the Twilight movies were filmed. Theo's idea. Roman wouldn't admit that he also wanted to go there, but eventually gave in. 

While Theo takes the empty pizza box out to the recycling bin, Roman looks like he has something he wants to say. He keeps his eyes downcast. I feel like he's avoiding my eye contact. 

"Roman?" I start, but then he stands up abruptly and turns to me. 

"Birdie - Roberta - listen," he says. "Ummm...that time when I was sick...did I...did I do anything weird?" 

My heart speeds up. He must remember something. My palms are clammy and I can't move to say anything. I don't know what to do. 

He finally looks at me. His eyes are too intense and I have to look away. 

"Yes," I say finally. "You said some funny stuff while you were out." 

I lied. I lied to Roman's face. I could've confronted him about the kiss but I lied instead and I'm already regretting it. 

He looks somehow disappointed. 

"That's it?" he says. 

He knows. He knows, he knows what he did. 

I open my mouth to say it - to say that he kissed me in his sleep - but then Theo crashes in, and the moment's gone. 

"That's it," I say instead, almost to quiet to hear, but I can feel that Roman can hear it and everything else I didn't say.