Chapter 3

I stared at the ceiling for about 15 minutes trying to see where I stand from this mess. Soon, my door was being knocked.

"Leave me alone."
I cried not opening the door.

"Mel, it's me."

I heard dads voice.

"I said leave me alone, I don't want to talk to anyone."
I said with a high pitched voice.

"Suit yourself, tell me when you feel like talking."
Then I heard his footsteps getting away.

I jumped out of bed and stared at my room, then at my walls that were covered with pictures that held memories that will last forever, I even took a glance at my diary that I've been keeping ever since I was little, I looked at the trophies and certificates I had due to winning several first places at science fairs, I can't leave this all behind, not now, not like this.

I called Ashley, she always made me feel better.

"Hey Ash"
I said in an upset tone.

"Hello sweetie, you okay?"

"Not really."

"What's wrong?"

"We're moving."

"Mel it's fine a lot of people move, it's fine as long as you remain in this near area so that we go to school together. You don't want to miss your prom with your friends."

"To another city."

"Oh, Mel that's terrible. But still, we can make this work. Don't be upset, please, we'd meet every weekend. You either drive yourself to my place or I go to your new place."

"In a different country."
I finally cried.

"What??"
Ashley yelled through the phone.

"Can you come over?"

"I'm on my way."
She said then she hung up. I was glad to know that I've got her to back me up whenever I needed her help.

Few minutes later, Ashley was knocking at my door.

"Come in."
I stated still not moving.

"Oh so you let Ashley in but not the woman that gave birth to you?"
Mum sounded disappointed.

"Ashley isn't trying to ruin my life."

"That's not fair and you know it. Come on in Ashley."
Mum glared at me then signalled to Ashley who was waiting behind her to come in.

"Mel."
Ashley stated giving me a hug.

"I know."
I cried.

"Baby you know what? It's not that bad. You can go to school there for this semester, and come here when it's time for our prom. Plus, this is your senior year. You're off to college next year, and you'll be back. If you put it in another way, you're not moving. You're just the exchange student you've always wanted to be, but instead of having foster parents, you get to keep yours. It's gonna be a fun experience to tell me when you're back, don't you think?"
Ashley said giving me the beam of hope I've been begging for.

"What about Alex?"
I asked upset.

"Mel you need to get over him, he already graduated 60 years ago, you don't know anything about him but what you see on his Facebook profile. Plus american guys are HAWT!"
She winked at me.

"But I've always had this image in my head where it's prom, and he came to surprise me, then he asked me to dance with him."

"Get over your day dream Mel, Alex is gone. He's never been here anyway."