nu·mi·nous

/ˈn(y)omənəs/
adjective
having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity.

Lillian's eyes narrowed at the two boys coming into view. Her tail twitched impatiently against the dying flowers behind her.

Joshua walked slumped next to Tyler who was slurping down every drop of water in his bottle. Practice was particularly hellish today.

Jay and Zack went downtown to get some junk food from the mini mart, so it was just Tyler. Madison hadn't gone to school that day.

A graceful paw was placed forward as Lillian hopped over a row of plants. She was trotting up to the sidewalk where Tyler was walking.

He brought his head down after gulping half of the bottle and saw it. His eyes bugged out as he choked on his water.

Surely that couldn't be the same cat. There was no possible way.

"Lillian!" Joshua said cheerily, noticing the cat. He bent down and stroked her, causing her back to arch in one fluid motion.

Tyler stared at it curiously. Why was it rubbing up against nothing? And purring?

But he didn't care about that at the moment. He wanted to know if this really was the same cat.

Its eyes were the major selling point. Tyler would know them anywhere. He had spent so many mornings looking into them as he walked to school, wondering whose cat it really was.

"There's no way," Tyler breathed. He sunk to his knees and held a hand out to it. She noticed this and left Joshua, bumping into Tyler's outstretched hand. He chuckled.

"Okay, maybe there is."

He didn't see a collar on it. It looked too clean for a homeless cat and acted way too friendly for one too. It had to belong to someone.

But who? Someone back in Newark? If so, their cat just followed him all this way. The least he could do was take care of it until he saw some lost ads for it.

"Can I take you home, kitty?" He asked her in a low voice.

As if saying yes, she curled into his body, moving her tail back and forth. So he scooped her up and began carrying her home.

When she looked over at Joshua walking next to Tyler, he laughed. She had made it here and was now going home with them. She was a smart cat, that's for sure.

At home, Tyler walked through the house until he found his mother in her office on the phone. He stood behind her patiently, Lillian in his arms.

When she hung up, he cleared his throat.

"Yeah, sweetheart?" She didn't need to turn around, whoever it was could be addressed as sweetheart by her.

"C-can I talk to you?" Tyler's voice was small.

At her most troubled child's voice calling out, she dropped what she was doing and faced him.

"Is that a cat?" She immediately questioned.

"Yeah."

"Why do you have a cat?"

"Cause I think its homeless."

His mom sighed. "It's not safe to just pick up cats off the street, Tyler. You're 17, you should know this. It could have fleas."

"I know, but this cat's been following me around for a while. And it's really friendly. We can take it to get all its shots, right?"