des·ti·tute

/ˈdestəˌt(y)ot/
adjective
deprived of, devoid of, or lacking, i.e., without Josh.

Play the song linked above when you see the *

The rec room was full of patients, all struggling with reality in their own way. Some tried to connect with their sanity through painting, led by a man who didn't get paid enough to be there.

Others would just sit on a chair and just stare off into an abyss. Tyler was one of those people, though his chair happened to be facing the TV.

A news report played after a nurse forgot to change to channel, and a helicopter view of Atkins Drive popped up on the screen.

Instead of reacting wildly like he wanted to, Tyler waited for something to be shown other than a bird's eye view of Josh's house as a news anchor read off a TelePrompTer about the dead end case.

His head lulled slightly to the side, Tyler watched with great--but not shown--interest. Apparently, that footprint that they had found was completely smooth. No shoe marks, no toes, nothing.

Police were stumped, scratching their heads at the smooth footed killer. But Tyler knew what it was.

It was Josh's, left behind after Tyler slit Orion's throat. He was able to barely make an impression in the blood before he left, and that left the print.

"Another news buff, huh?" A male nurse approached Tyler, pill cup rattling in his hand. Tyler didn't reply.

"Here," the nurse held out the pills as well as a paper cup of water.

When Tyler didn't make any move to take them, the nurse rounded the big arm chair and took a knee in his eye sight.

When Tyler saw him and his nose ring, he knew this was the nurse who he had hallucinated Josh as.

"My name is Ben, Tyler. I know from experience that patients don't trust us, so maybe knowing my name will help that." He gave him a small smile, and a sob erupted from Tyler's mouth.

Ben, a little scared and even more concerned, said, "What did I do? Tyler, I'm sorry, what did I do?"

He set down the pills and water on the arm of the chair, trying to calm him by rubbing his shoulder. "Don't cry. I'm sorry if I said something to-"

"Ben!"

A stern, harsh voice barked his name, making both Tyler and Ben flinch. It was Dr. Ulka, and he was not happy.

"Go back to the nurse's station. I'll take care of this."

Bowing his head, Ben got to his feet and walked away past him. Dr. Ulka didn't move as he studied Tyler from behind, just the back of his head as he kept crying at the sight of such a simple reminder of Josh.

"Will you take the pills, Tyler?" Dr. Ulka asked.

Just hearing his voice was enough to send Tyler up the wall in a tear soaked misery. It was rough, scratchy, in all the bad ways. Like nails on a chalkboard, it drove Tyler to throw his arm out in a wide sweep, causing the pills and water to spill out over the floor.

Panting heavily, Tyler gripped the arms of the chair, body rigid with anger. Two more seconds and he would start on a rampage, and the other nurses could tell.

They sprinted in from the nurse's station, taking his arms in a brutish fashion and pinning them against his body as he struggled.

"I think you need some timeout in your room, child." Dr. Ulka smirked as he watched the nurses drag Tyler out, who was sobbing grossly and hollering Josh's name.