cov·et·ous

/ˈkəvədəs/
adjective
having or showing a great desire to possess something, typically something belonging to someone else; jealousy.

"Not today," Tyler whispered.

"But-"

"I said give me a few days. I don't have the nerve to right now."

Josh sighed and leaned back against the wall. He had been trying to convince Tyler to drop Mira for the past 20 minutes of his second period class before he goes to health. He really wanted her gone.

"I hate this," Josh muttered to himself.

The class was over and Tyler slung his empty backpack over his shoulder, waiting for Josh.

Out in the hallway, Tyler's hand was locked with someone else's. Mira's.

Josh's eyes narrowed and he felt a growl of discontent rumble in his throat. Tyler stayed the actual vocalization with a hard look.

"Did you know we're doing projects in health? I hope we get paired together." Mira said, flouncing down the hallway while Tyler kept the same slow gait and pace.

In all honesty, Tyler hoped they would too. Not because he liked her, no, no, not at all, but rather that he knew no-one else in the class. He didn't have room in his life for a new face, name, personality, etc.

In the classroom, Josh was forced to sit on the floor once again. He glared up at Mira almost the entire time, when he wasn't deeply lost in Tyler's rare movements.

"Project time, guys," the ironically overweight health teacher grunted. She picked up a stack of instruction packets and began passing them out.

"And you can pick your own partners."

Mira clung to Tyler, reaching over his shoulders from behind. She buried her face in his neck and sweater, giggling.

Josh was not happy.

"Just kill her if you don't like her."

Abraxas appeared in front of Josh, hands behind his back. He looked...darker. His bright red beanie had been dulled to a bland shade of the color and his scruffiness was really starting to show.

Tyler saw Abraxas, eyes going wide. He didn't move nor cry out, just watched. Waited.

"I'm not going to kill her, what're you, crazy?"

With an impatient roll of his eyes, he gestured to his wardrobe. "I'm a demon, remember?"

"Yeah, how could I forget..." Josh muttered.

"Going back to my suggestion, why won't you?"

"Because she's a human, even though she's a...massive bitch."

"So what if she's human? Tyler's human, and we're all trying to take his soul."

Josh felt a pang in his chest that he knew wasn't his. It was Tyler's, and fear of death was hitting him hard.

"Abraxas, leave." Josh said through gritted teeth. His overwhelming passion to keep Tyler safe in every way kicked in, and he rose up to his feet.

His body blocked Tyler from Abraxas's line of sight and stared him down.

"Mama bear much?" Abraxas snorted.

"Yeah. Problem?"

"Very. But I'll leave." Abraxas turned around slowly, feigning his leave. But he spun back around quickly, holding up his pointer and middle finger.