Bitter Sweet Symphony

We fly through the air toward the address of the house Matt's family is being held at. I hear over the comms that George and Paul's groups have already made it to the house. Then I hear gun shot. I tap Grant's shoulder.

"We need to hurry!" I yell over the sound of the wind.

Grant pushed down harder on Peter. He shoots forward through the air, faster than we were before. I can see everyone down on the ground. Peter swoops down, dropping us on the ground and shifting back into a human at the same time. I run up and duck behind the car Matt is hiding behind.

"That are holding Carla as a hostage. They aren't touching the child." Matt informs me.

"How old is the child?" I ask him, cocking my gun.

"Three months, one week." He tells me. The baby was born recently. I look to George.

"Why havn't you run in and kicked their ass?" I ask him.

"They have a power block. They have a record on my power." He says.

"Who isn't recorded?" I ask. They all look around.

"You." I hear Andrew say to me. I look over the car. I see one guard. I recognize the insignia on his armor. It's the same one I have on my right arm. This is the Anit-Metas. They are working with Josh.

I put my gun away as a second measure. I hold my paton. I look at Grant a wink. He gives me a worried smile. I stand up and extend the paton. I walk toward the front door. A gun goes off and I spin the paton. I hear small ting and realize I deflected the bullet like Josh had. I charge the first guard. I push him to the ground. He holds up a gun towards my face. I grab it as I sit on top of him, and pull it the side. He shoot the gun off, away from my body. I shock his chest, sending him unconcious.

I stand and look into entry way if the house. The house is a two story house that has a combined living and dinning room. It goes into a kitchen and one hall with a balcony up stairs.

I walk towards the kitchen, my hands charged and ready. I turn around the sharp corner into the kitchen. I see no one. I let my guard down. A wire comes down from over my head and pulls on my neck. I grab it and pull it off my neck. I shock the wire, nothing happens. I let go and grab my gun. He pulls harder. I can't breath. I hold my gun behind my head and fire a shot. Nothing happens. I fire several shots until the string becomes loose and I can breath again.

I let out a heavy gasp for air and look at my attacker. She lies on the ground, a bullet wound in her forehead. I close my eyes. I killed her. I stand up and hold my gun. I look in the mag and see that I used all my bullets. I hold my paton, slowly walking towards the stairs. The stairs make me vulnerable to an attack from above. I hear the comm speak.

"How's it going in there?" I hear Matt ask. I cough ou of pain from th wire pull.

"I havn't found them yet. Keep the comm clear so they don't pick it up" I say.

I turn and start to walk up the stairs backward. I hold my extended staff ready for an attack from the air. I don't see any attackers. I turn on the stairs and make it to the second floor. I hear a comosion in the master bed room down the hall. I walk towards the door. The edge of the balcony goes down to the ground floor.

A guard crashes through the wall and grabs me. He hold me over the edge. I grab his face and shock him. He lets go for a second for me to gain my ground. He swings, but I block. We continue to punch and block. He grabs me and we both go flying over the edge of the balcony. I spin him so he hits the ground first.

He hits with a loud thud and I roll off him, out of breath. I grab his gun and slowly stand. I hold my stomach and slowly crawl up the stairs. I see a guard.

"Lets just talk." I say.

"Freeze!" He yells. I shoot his knee causing him to fall and walk in pain.

"Good talk." I say.

I hold the gun up with my right hand and hold my stomach with my left. I might have broken a rib. I get to the master bed room. It has two doors. I try to open it. It's locked. I shoot the lock. I kick the door open, causing a sharp pain through my abdomen. I see a baby carriage. I walk up to it and see the child. I put my gun away and pick up th child. I let go of my stomach causing me to sweat. I press my comm.

"I found the child." I say, breathing deeply.

"What about Carla?" Matt asks into the comm. I get ready to answer, but I hear movement behind me. I look and see a woman being held at him point by guard. Only problem is I don't know her as Carla. I know her as Catalina Lane. My mother.