twenty-six

Jungkook's point of view..

They always said he was incapable of loving or being loved.

For the longest time, he believed them. Kept his head down and heart locked up. It wasn't easy, but he did it. But then.. what was supposed to be a game turned into something more. Something so much more.

Kim Taehyung broke the padlock to his heart. Jungkook knew it was only a matter of time before he told him he loved him, and it would all be over. They would find out and put a stop to it.

He didn't ask to fall in love with him. He didn't want to fall in love with him.

Now he was wandering the streets, looking for something in particular. For days he had wondered about it. If he came clean. Told the love of his life the truth. Watch him walk away and leave him alone.

Jungkook came across the building and stopped in his track. The palms of his hands rubbed against the pockets of his jeans, making him sweaty and uncomfortable. With a shaky intake of air, he steps through the doors of the building that read; Willard's A******n Clinic.

He walked out with a thick vanilla file and didn't look back.

Taehyung's point of view..

Caffeine sounded so damn good at the moment.

Taehyung slumped over his desk in exhaustion. The paperwork was stacked so high that he could hardly peer over the top to see the secretary.

"Sir, the CEO wants to talk to you-- I forwarded his call to your phone." And with that, Ria left, and Taehyung picked up his office phone quickly.

"Uncle?"

"Taehyung, hey buddy!" A cheery voice sounded over the line. However, Taejeon suddenly went into a short coughing fit, and Taehyung swore he could hear a beeping in the background. "How's the job treating you?"

"Good..." Taehyung trails off, leaning forward in his chair. "Uncle, are you in a hospital by any chance?"

"Well, you see, that's what I was calling you about." Taejeon clears his throat. "I seem to have fallen ill due to the stress of working long hours. But there's no need to worry! The doctors say I'll be up in running in a week or two. Until then, I wanted you to take my place to see how you would like it."

There was something unconvincing about the way he said this. Taehyung stayed silent for a while and listened to the beeping background noise.

"You would tell me if something was wrong." He says, biting the inside of his cheek. "Right?"

"Of course Taehyung, you're like the son I neve--" Taejeon stops abruptly and coughs once again. "I mean, you're like a son to me. I wouldn't lie to you."

Taehyung nods. "Okay. Well. The office is different without you. Ria and everyone misses you, old man."

"They'll get used to it." His uncle chuckles, and something about the way he said it made it seem like his leave was going to be temporary.

"A-Alright Uncle Taejeon. I have to go but it was nice to hear your voice." Taehyung mutters. "Maybe I'll pay you a visit in the hospital."

"I'd prefer if you didn't." Taejeon says warily. "Just focus on your work. Goodbye, I love you."

"I love you too." The line went dead and he set the phone down. He leaned back in his chair with a deep sigh.

He just wanted to go home.

Jungkook's point of view..

The front door was open. It typically was because Ms. Kim always drank in the afternoon, and it always slipped her mind (like her soberness) to lock the door.

Jungkook waltzed in like it was his own house. The file in his hand felt like a ticking bomb, and he wanted to get rid of it. But of course, she stood in the way of him and the stairs.

"Stop right there, mister."

His feet stop walking before his mind processes the command. Just the sound of her voice made him stop in his tracks.

"When are you going to move out?" Ms. Kim asks, and her speech was a bit slow from her drunk state. Jungkook peers at her through his bangs and shrugs.

"God, you're just like him." She scoffs, sitting back down at the dining room table. "The whole purpose of you having another family is that you live with them, not camp out in Taehyung's room."

"You're drunk." Jungkook states calmly. "Taehyung is eighteen and technically the only man of the house. And he said I can come and go as I please."

"Ha!" Ms. Kim laughs, throwing her head forward and flips her hair back when she comes back up. "You make an excellent point! Taehyung is eighteen, isn't he?"

Jungkook clenches his jaw.

"And how old are you? My, you just turned seventeen!" She cackles and takes another gulp of wine. "How interesting is that? An eighteen year old, technically, dating a minor. I bet the police would love to take a look at your sausage fest of a relationship."

"It's a one year difference. It's no big deal." Jungkook sneers, slipping the file into the inside of his jacket.

"But of course that isn't enough for you!" She shouts, glaring at him. "You have to come into our lives and fuck everything up! As if you already hadn't done enough!"

"Be quiet!" Jungkook hisses.

"No, no, no! You don't get to tell me what to do! You always have had the best timing, haven't you?! You know he's dead because of you?? Taehyung thinks I'm absolute Satan because of you! And now you just had to, you just had to--"

Don't say it.

"--You had to date your god damn replacement!"

Silence. It consumed them. The whole house was quiet. In that moment, Jungkook felt truely and utterly alone.

"If you want me gone." Jungkook whispers hoarsely, salty water burning his eyes and blurring his vision. "I'll be gone for good. Just give me one week."

"What makes you think I'll let you?" Ms. Kim mutters, staring at him intensely. Jungkook steps forward and grits his teeth.

"Because I can take you down with me, mother."

He sat the file in Taehyung's desk drawer. The day he found it would be the day everything changed.

Forever.

______

i'm loving this (:<