twenty-seven

He arrived home with the door open. The feeling started in his chest. It was something that made his heart stop, his toes curl, and the hairs on his neck stand all at once.

The feeling got worse when he stepped through the threshold. Magazines and newspapers were strewn across the hardwood. The lamp shade in the corner was crooked and light bulb flickered slightly.

"Jungkook?" Taehyung calls out, taking tentative steps near the stair case. The eerie silence was suffocating almost and he walks up the stairs.

After finding no one upstairs, he went back down to the kitchen and the living room. Nothing.

He almost jumped out of his skin when the home phone rang, its shrilling sound sounding incredibly loud in the dead silence. It was halfway through the fourth ring when Taehyung picks it up.

"Mrs. Kim, hello." Taehyung decides not to speak and listens closely. "We wanted to bring an unplanned visit here at our Adoption Clinic earlier this morning to your attention. A young man who identifies as your son came by and picked up Kim Taehyung's file. As a family member, he has the right to with drawl any information he wants, we just wanted to let you know. Have a nice day!"

The line went dead. The phone slipped from his hand. His eyes flitted to the picture frame hanging over him. The picture of his mother, father, and him stared back at him, except pieces of broken glass threatened to fall off it like the tears in his eyes.

And just like the fragile glass that held his family photo, his heart was broken.

.

There was someone downstairs. It was two in the morning, and Taehyung laid wide awake with his eyes trained on the ceiling. The last few hours had been filled with wallowing in his thoughts, hysterical and broken laughter, and crying.

He counted the steps the person took each time he heard their feet collide with the stairs. He didn't bother pretending to fall asleep when they walked in.

The side of the bed sank due to their weight. Taehyung laid stiff, his eyes tempted yet didn't dare drift. The familiar scent of his boyfriend that usually comforted him smelt foreign to him now.

"Something happened.." Jungkook trails off, curling into Taehyung side, resting his head on Tae's bicep. Taehyung doesn't respond.

"If you want to talk about it, I'm here." His smaller boyfriend kisses his cheek and lays back down. Soon enough, he heard soft snores sound from Jungkook's mouth and exhaled.

He then allowed himself to let go the tears he never knew he had. Even with Jungkook beside him, he never felt so alone.

.

The spot beside him was empty when he woke up. He heard the faint sound of the shower running as he sat up. Stiffness traveled from his neck down to his torso from his rigid sleeping position. Brown wisps of his bangs brushed over his lidded dull eyes. He made no effort to move them out of the way.

Sighing deeply, Taehyung slowly pushes off the mattress and starts to strip. He gets dressed quickly into a sweatshirt and jeans and starts to look for something subconsciously. He then realizes that it was the locket Taejeon had given him for Christmas.

Frantically, he starts to look for his necklace. He couldn't find it anywhere, and he became panicked.

"Jungkook?!" He shouts hoarsely. "Where's my locket?!"

The shower curtain rings clink as he hears Jungkook pull the divider back. "It was on your desk the last time I saw it!"

Taehyung hurries over to his desk and rustles through each of his drawers. The last one felt heavier than the others when he pulled it out and he peers inside.

Sure enough, the gold locket laid inside. Relieved, Taehyung smiles a tad. What was under the locket, however, caught his eye.

"Did you find it babe?" Jungkook asks, stepping out of the bathroom while drying his hair with a towel. He freezes when he sees the vanilla folder wide open in his boyfriend's shaking hands.

"Tae-"

"You knew?"

The words were so spiteful that Jungkook shrunk back in fear. Rage flashed in Taehyung's eyes and flips through the folder more.

"This is such bullshit!" Taehyung exclaims roughly, throwing the folder against the wall. "My mom and dad-- or whoever the hell they are-- they knew! You, my boyfriend, knew this whole time!"

"Taehyung, I can explain." Jungkook attempts to say this calmly but his voice is shaky as he steps forward.

"There is nothing, nothing you can say to fix this, Jeon Jungkook." Taehyung snarls, glaring at him with hatred. He brushes past him and walks out the door. Right outside the door frame, he looks back and grimaces.

"We're over. Stay the hell away from me."

He left and didn't look back.

_______

yikes