Chapter 3

I was lounging on the steps when the group of captains came to me. "Need something?" I ask just wanting to relax in the sun.

"The vice commander has asked us to test your ability to defend yourself." It was the third division captain, Saitou Hajime. I knew from observation of his renowned swordsmanship.

"Really? Uh..." I ask and look down at my hands uncomfortably. "Do I have to?" I ask, making them look at me with question.

"What problems are there?" Saitou asks confused.

"Nothing... Okay let's go." I nod standing up.

~~~

We're both given wooden swords. I don't even remember ever picking up a wooden sword. I always just used the real thing. "Shinpachi will be our referee." Saitou informs and I nod.

"Okay, hold on." I stop him thinking. I remind myself of a few things and notice his left handed stance. An idea pops into my head I grin at him as I copy his stance to cover for my lack of swordsmanship, especially against a master like him. His eyes widen and the match is started.

It's obvious he is thrown off by my little surprise. All my counter attacks seem to weigh against him, since he was probably use to right handed fighters inability to counter against him. We're separated after another attack and it seems he thinks he has an advantage. He charged at me and I see what he's about to do.

I block and it slides me back a few feet making me grin wider. He comes at me again and I side step, flipping my sword backwards so he freezes with the wooden sword on his back.

I move it and turn around to face him. "That was fun. I hadn't played with a sword in a while." I inform, enjoying the small rush.

"Are you left handed?" He asks but I shake my head.

"I learned to be skilled in both ways to throw off opponents. It obviously worked." I point out making him chuckle.

"I apologize for underestimating you." He admits and bows. I don't return it. I didn't bow.

"Happens all the time actually. I could see that you got serious near the end though." I reason and we grin at each other as the others come up.

"You're pretty good." Okita admits with a grin.

"Yeah, and you beat one of the best swordsman here." Toudou calls with praise.

"Well it took me a while to warm up to it. I haven't used a sword in a few years." I admit with a nervous laugh.

"Really? Then what weapon do you use?" Harada asks interestedly, probably hoping for someone else who could use his weapon. "A spear?"

"I can use it but I feel too short so I don't really. No, I actually use these." I pull out the steel fan hidden behind my red and gold sashes and flick it open. They all stare at it, studying the golden design and red details on the black steel fan.

"How do you use a fan?" Nagakura asks confused and clueless. All muscle, no brains.

"It's not a traditional technique and I sort of lack consistency in any traditional fighting. That's why I was sort of uncomfortable against going up against a swordsman like Saitou." I admit with a small wave to him.

"How about we go a few rounds?" Okita suggests with a smirk as he puts a hand on his sword.

"You okay if I don't use the sword?" I ask and he shakes his head grinning.

"Okay, well it's been a while since I let myself get loose." I say flicking out the second fan. I close them and move to my spot where I started with Saitou. "Ready when you are."

He grins drawing his sword and takes his stance. "We'll watch over the fight." Nagakura informs uneasily. It was probably for the best.

"Don't hold back." I smirk at him and he smirks just as wide.

"Go!" They call and I flick open the fans.

He charges at me but I don't move. When he swings his sword I block but kick the hilt up and out of his grasp. I throw my closed fans down and catch his sword. I point it at him. I did like to show off a bit. Someone had to put that kid in his place.

"That was quick." I chuckle and hold out his sword to him. When he takes it, I flip backwards, grabbing my fans from the floor in the process, as he takes the swing I had anticipated.

"That was so cool!" Toudou calls in awe.

"No I think traditional is. But maybe just because I can't do it." I inform honestly, a little envious of them.

"You did it when you were fighting Saitou." Nagakura points out again, cluelessly.

"For a little bit." I counter.

"Your grip on the sword would shift and loosen occasionally to the point it could slip from your grasp." Saitou comments, supporting my claim.

"I had to keep reminding myself not to drop the sword and punch you." I joke making all of us laugh.

"But you really don't know how to use a sword properly? Even I do, but not as good as them. " Harada informs with a nod to the said "them."

"I've tried since I was a kid. Most of my teachers just gave up on me." I say nonchalantly but it's clear they don't share the same feeling.

"What!?" They all ask in shock. Even Saitou was wide eyed causing me to laugh embarrassedly.

"Yeah, I'm pretty hopeless but I'm skilled in the ways that count." I point out optimistically and I tuck away the fans behind my sash. "Let me know if you ever wanna go again." I call, walking away. "I could use some fun once in a while."

I needed to get going. I had work to do.