Chapter 15

"Sakura!" Someone shouts. I automatically pull out my fan breathing heavily. It was Harada, Nagakura, and Heisuke. I realize I'm shaking.

"Was I...?" They nod. I relax against the tree and tuck away my fan. I pull my legs to my chest and put my head down. I take a few deep breaths. "I'm fine." I say standing up. They look at me doubtfully. I give them a soft smile. "I'm okay."

I turn away quickly. "I gotta go do something. Just don't say anything about this." I jump up the tree and over the wall.

~~3rd POV~~

They all watched as she made her escape. They were all worried. She hasn't been sleeping much. They mostly find her thinking in the tree. Whenever they catch her trying to sleep they knew well enough to stay close to keep an eye on her. This was the fifth time she attempted sleep. The fifth time they had to wake her up.

"Hey, this is getting pretty bad. Shouldn't we tell someone? Like Yamazaki?" Shinpachi asks.

"She doesn't want anyone to know. You see how she gets when she gets mad." Heisuke says. "Besides I think she feels weak. Maybe next time we should see where she goes."

"That wouldn't be a good idea. She's sharp and plus, I've seen her working one time on patrol. She passed by waving as she ran on top of the houses. We couldn't keep up. But... It's been five days since sleep. We need to keep an eye on her. If she knocks out I don't know if she'll be okay." Sano reasons. They all nod.

"How come no one else noticed yet?" Heisuke asks.

"She's careful about how she looks when she's around others. Always joking and laughing." Sano explains.

"I think Hijikata-San noticed though. He still hasn't let her do any work. At least nothing he knows about." Shinpachi adds. They all sigh. They were going to have to talk to her soon.

~~Sakura POV~~

Ten days and I'm on the edge. The three captains had notice but only half of it. Itou has been normal lately. For now, I think because of me, their meetings on official business has been pushed back to later dates.

I came back mid day. It was a grey time with rain pouring. I let it all fall down on me. I'm soaking wet as I walk back into headquarters.

I walk with purpose to the one who can bring me a peaceful sleep full of terror and happiness.

"Yamazaki, continue the sessions. I can not fault you for the duty I have given you." He nods.

~~3rd POV~~

Yamazaki returns to the others for a visit. "Hey, how's she doing?" Kondou-San asks anxiously. The others were just as worried. The day she confronted Yamazaki they both left without warning leaving only a note behind.

"She has good days and bad. It's only been a week but I came because I believe we will return tomorrow."

"What!?" They all shout.

"Although her past is still a part of her demons she has become at peace with herself, enough so that she has been able to sleep. From what she's told me this has been the most peace she ever experienced in her life."

"Did she tell you anything else? Like-"

"No she's vary closed off about her past. She didn't tell me anything specific. But..." He smiles to himself. "She has shown some other side of herself to me. However I ask you don't treat her any differently. She actually hates it that she was so weak as to take this time to heal. She thinks it's selfish and not right."

"Honestly, she's too hard on herself." Hijikata shakes his head.

"She said that despite being ordered not to work, she still did, somehow without my knowledge, and will give it to you tomorrow when she sees you. But I have to get going. If I'm gone for too long she'll try and get out."

"You make her seem like an animal." Souji laughs.

"She's been increasingly irritable because I took caution and extended the sessions." They laugh as he leaves. They hoped Sakura would be okay. Itou even asked to delay our meeting until she got back. Hopefully she changed for the better and not the other way around.