Chapter 22

~~3rd POV~~

"So your okay with hitting ladies like that?" Sano asked eyeing him with somewhat controlled anger. Hiro was laughing at their protectiveness.

"Only when we're sparring like that. But it's only with her because she's proven she can handle herself. If you hadn't noticed during it, she actually enjoys a good fight. She probably doesn't do it with you guys or around you because you either hold back on her or don't like getting hurt. Or it could be she doesn't think you could handle it." He sighs.

"She was right when she said that I wasn't ready. I should've took some time to prepare because this hurt bad. And she's right when she said she lowers her standards. She lowers her strength and skills enough so she's a fair challenge against you. You should see her going all out. Is amazing but terrifying to see."

"It does sound like her." Sannan reasons. "Not to mention he paid a hefty price for a rush."

"Oh, I noticed you got on her bad side, Yamazaki. I don't wanna know but I'll give you some advice: you need to give her an apology from the heart. That or you say you owe her something but I don't recommend that. She told you about her old work, right? She takes that seriously. She takes trust seriously so make sure it's good. And make sure to mean it. Somehow she can sense weak resolve."

"What makes you think it was his fault?" Sannan asks with curiosity and not accusation. It makes Hiro smirk.

"Because she'd never betray anyone. She always follows through and if she somehow gets into the wrong she'll admit it and she'll try to make amends. She takes this stuff seriously so be careful. She makes sure the price gets paid weather it's on her or you. I guess that's what you get after working in the shadows for as long as she has."

"You seem to know a lot about her. And care for her. Why'd you two split?" Souji asks skeptically.

"Oh... She was going through a tough time and I didn't think I could do anything for her. I snooped around and saw she kept getting letters from some doctor and contacted him. He came over, took care of her and diagnosed the perfect cure, to work. I had my men and even if I could she said she didn't want me to go, saying that I would only hold her back. So I let her go, but I sure do miss her cooking. Does she cook for you guys?"

"She can cook!?" The trio asks in loud voices making him laugh.

"We could ask her later." Kondou advises.

"Do you plan on getting back together?" Souji asks, piquing everyone's interest. He thinks.

"She's not ready to face old memories like me. It'll only hold her back. I was gonna talk to her about that later on. For now I guess I'm okay with just being her friend. She deserves to have some fun with new people."

"And would you mind telling us why she isn't ready?" Kondou asks worriedly.

"Look... She's gonna kill me if I tell you, and I'm only half kidding. Her life never has been the best and she's really closed off. Actually she keeps most people at a distance. She recently just lost two of the most important people in her life. The people she opened up to and loved deeply. She cares for me, maybe trusts but she'll still wouldn't open up to me like she did with them. She'll lie to protect me and keep things hidden to keep me from worrying. But I don't mind. That's how she does things. That's how she works. It takes someone who really knows her to recognize that. I only know because I was warned by one of the ones she lost before they died a few days later. That's why it's easy for me to let her go off alone and do what she wants even if it hurts her. Because I care about her enough to want to give as much as I can to her before she either finds someone who can give that to her or she resigns herself to how she currently is. I just want the best for her."

Everyone stared in speechless shock. To them it was like another fire was lit in the path to understand her. A vary big one. Although one person had already came to this conclusion. He was just waiting for another spark to light the right way into her heart.

Silently Sakura sat against the wall to the other room. She couldn't move or speak. Just stare up aimlessly as she comes to understand one of the big puzzles in her life. For her too was another spark lighted in her path of understanding.

It was almost automatic. She hadn't realized he understood this in such depth even if it was told to him. But most of all she couldn't believe that there was someone fitting of what she craved in that room. Someone who could give this to her. Did he know? No, he probably didn't and it would be too selfish to try and wrap him into her mess. But it was a nice thought that someone actually cared about her. Well at least he thought he did. In the end, everyone will leave you until your alone. All the hard work meaning nothing as they were swept away. That could be another unconscious reason to why she chose her name.

All the beautiful fruits of labor swept away, leaving a bare, vulnerable tree that was once masked by her works to cover what really lay beneath... Nothing.