Chapter 30

I was hiding way up in the trees watching two others below watch Kazama and Amagiri, as well as two girls.

The emperor is ill, is what I learn from watching. I guess that means someone will use that to their advantage because the "woman" who was watching them decides that that's good enough to make their escape.

She's noticed and throw off track by a thrown tree branch and barley blocks it with a familiar looking sword. I use that distraction as she jumps down to take it. She goes down to an opening in the forest and everyone follows, even the other spy. It was the other one who invaded the Shinsengumi. But he still hasn't seen me yet since he went past them to get a good seat to listen in.

"A nymph like you must be feeling lucky to try and eavesdrop on our conversation." Kazama says.

"I believe this is the first time we've met. A pleasure to meet you." Amagiri bows trying to mediate the tension.

"Yes, I'm Nagumo Karou. Head of the Nagumo clan. But it seems o was the only one to eavesdrop on your conversation." She looks up to the grinning man sitting on the low branches. He jumps down. When they spot him.

"Shiranui Kyo." Amagiri identifies.

"Sorry but if you're mixing up things here in Kyoto, I have some things to take care of." He defends.

"But, I came here with warning." Karou pulls out a cloth covered, sword shaped thing he hid. "Stay away from Sakur-" They all look in surprise at the branch he uncovers.

"Is this a joke?" They ask. I chuckle, jumping down with the sword in hand.

"Is it me or does your perception get lower every time I see you?" I ask.

"Sakura?" I pull off my fox mask with a grin.

"Honestly, Karou, I appreciate the concern but if you're the one who's spying on me, stop." I toss him her sword. "And the disguise could use some work."

"The succeeded fury, what are you doing here?"

"What!?" Karou asks.

"I need to make sure my status is kept to yourself." I say turning serious.

"Why?" They ask with narrowed eyes.

"It'll attract the old researched and might spark them to start creating furies. I trust you not to want that."

"Afraid you won't be the only succeeded fury?" Kyo asks with a smirk.

"No, a fury like me won't be possible to recreate ever again."

"Why is that?" Amagiri asks.

"I was an accident but as I acquired information as I grew up to figure out how it was possible, I came across a theory. Demon blood. It might be the key."

"Really? From which bloodline?" Kazama asks.

"I would think Yukimura since I lived with them."

"Is there anyone you can ask?" I shake my head.

"There's only Dr. Osana. And I'll kill him before he can even speak a word in my presence. Just make sure not to say anything about me."

"Agreed, I would prefer not to spark an increase in furies." Amagiri says.

"But... What of the surviving Tatsumaru?" I sigh placing the mask back on me.

"What makes you think I even know anything? Or if what you're asking for exists? I know a few things but my knowledge could shortfall when it comes to these topics. It isn't vary accessible." He smirks.

"What reason do you have not to reveal the information?"

"Payment." I say. "Not money." He crosses his arms.

"What will it take?" I cock my head at him.

"It's a vary big one for not a lot information just because Tatsumaru means that much to you. You'd have to swear on your life not to hurt Tatsumaru. That goes for everyone and Karou can't listen. Will you take it?"

"Yes, Karou-"

"That isn't fair. I-"

"I got this." I say as I reach into my sash. He pulls out the sword but I splash him with the vials contents. He yelps in pain and I rush into him and shove the rest down his throat.

He begins to choke and spit blood until he eventually collapses. I notice a dagger in my shoulder. He didn't try to kill me... I pull it out and clean it off. "Did you kill him?" They ask.

"No, poisoned. He won't be able to do much for a day or so." I take his sword and hesitate. "I was right. My adoptive brother had the pairing sword. I guess they were separated." I sheath it and lay it down next to him.

"We all have swore that no harm is to come to the Tatsumaru, on our pride as demons." Kazama announces and I nod. It was good enough for me.

"Tatsumaru is under my protection, sent to a safe place where Tatsumaru can start fresh and detached from the name. But can I ask about something?" They nod. "The sword is... Odd but unique. It's..."

"It was rumored that the Tatsumaru clan had specially made their own sword with only one in existence. It is bound to have unique features." I nod.

"Well I can tell you know you'll never find Tatsumaru. He's invisible almost and doesn't want to be found. Actually... You've already seen him. You just won't be able to tell who. He's vary careful on how he acts and presents himself." Their eyes widen with shock.

"Is it certain he's still in Kyoto?" Kyo asks. I shrug.

"He has a tendency to jump place to place but I won't call him." Kazama smirks.

"That was more information than I expected." I smirk back.

"Well this is a partial appreciation for keeping my status a secret. Are we on a truce or do I have to kill you?" He laughs.

"For now." He says

"I'll see ya around. But if it's when your attacking the Shinsengumi..." I chuckle. "Let's just leave that up to imagination." I disappear in the trees.