2 | Bittersweet

My feet dragged behind me as my fatigued body hunched forward. My eyes dropped slightly as I forced my head up. I was sure I looked like a troll still gowned in my torn night clothes, hair knotted, and a day's worth of grease slicking several strands. Dirt spots covered portions of my exposed skin, and I had to hobble for fear of my wound getting infected.

The Reaper stood tall in front of me as he slowed down every now and then to stay within range. I was grateful because at certain points through the night, the Firebirds would dart in and out of the path, sending the night shadows and cool wind to blast upon us.

I groaned as an unseen stick jabbed my toe. One of the Firebirds ahead giggled at the sight of my twisted face as she peered back at me from over her shoulder. I glared up at her and the Reaper set a solid hand on my shoulder.

"Don't worry about them." He assured me but the fist in my gut told me otherwise. They were cunning and wicked at the same time. Not to mention their blood was purely liquid fire that they could use to malign anyone who got in their way. I wanted to make sure I wasn't ever the one to get in their way.

I nodded my head as my heavy tongue moved to roll across my teeth. I clicked my tongue before asking: "Do you think we could pause and have a drink?"

The Reaper stood up from his bent stance. I hadn't even noticed that he had moved to place his eyes level with mine until he did so. The man had honor and pride, but he also had kindness. My day has been full of surprises, I thought as the Reaper whistled up to the Firebirds.

"What?" They shouted down from where they drifted ten feet up in the air. Both of them flared, fire shooting from their helmets in twisting flames of bright light and steady warmth. The trees swayed and the shadows scurried.

"Let's take a break and start a fire. Caelia isn't looking well, I need to treat her wound." The Reaper called up to the Firebirds.

The two women looked at one another. "No," they said together and the Reaper huffed. "The wound will be healed when she reaches the gate."

The Reaper stepped away from me to be standing directly underneath the Firebirds. His neck stretched as far as it could go. "She'll die before she reaches the gate. She needs rest and water."

A Firebird pinched her nose. "And a bath." It commented and the other Firebird, the one with the soothing voice, slapped her on the arm in a warning, but couldn't help to chuckle as her stern look dissipated.

The Reaper's furrowed brows twitched in anger. "Then we'll give her a bath."

"There's no water near enough to throw her in." The first Firebird said.

"Elan!" The Firebird with the soothing voice called out and I raised my head to see her taking a hold of the other Firebird's arm. "Sister, don't talk like that. If he reports it back to the King, we'll never--"

Elan waved a dismissing hand. "Fine." She said as she broke away from her sister.

"You two are sisters?" I asked, my voice carrying around the forest in an eerie way. My hair rose on the back of my neck.

Elan sighed, frustrated. "See what you did, Simmer!" She stomped a foot in the air as if she was pounding it against the floor. It was our turn to share a look as the Reaper raised his eyebrows in my direction.

Simmer's face prickled as her cheeks inflamed. "I'm trying to follow orders." She hissed at her sister.

"You've given the child too much information!" Elan exclaimed.

Simmer pointed a thin finger at her sister. "You know I'm right. You just never think when you're tired." 

"Who says I'm tired?" Elan huffed as she crossed her arms over her chest.