18 | Utopia

My mother's smile faltered as she stared up into those grey eyes of the man named Aldrin. His shimmering hair feathered in the breeze as my mother's eyes drifted downward.

"I shouldn't have been foolish." Her words echoing around the woods. I wanted to go comfort her, but I could feel the cold sting of the figures hands in the back of my mind.

This was another vision.

Another one of its tales for me to listen to.

Aldrin stepped closer to my mother with caution. "The Unseelie are masters in deception, it wasn't your fault."

My mother's shinning eyes reached up to meet his. Her lips twitched in a soft smile and I felt my heart ache. So many times she'd given me that look. The one look that always assured me she loved me. The same look she gave me before she died.

"I should have left hours ago, when I realized Ian wasn't coming." Her words so soft and tantalizing, that even I felt the skip of a solid beat from Aldrin's inhuman heart.

Aldrin took half a step back as he gave my mother a quick look-over with his eyes. "If you'd like, I could bring you back to my home and get you a new dress and a good meal." He watched her carefully.

My mother almost seemed to want to go, but then she shook her head and stepped sideways, away from the prince. "I'd better return home." She told him kindly through a small smile. "I'm awfully tired and I've seemed to have lost my appetite after..." Her words trailed off as she squared her shoulders. "But thank you." She nodded her head towards the prince in appreciation.

Prince Aldrin placed his hands firmly behind his back. "I could walk you to your home?" He offered and my mom gave out a small laugh. This action seemed to perplex the prince as a well shaped eyebrow rose.

"And then you'll know where I live." My mother covered her hands momentarily to hide her smile as she gaze up at the lethal prince before her.

"Do you not wish to see me again?" Prince Aldrin's voice seemed almost hurt and my mother dropped her hand to her side.

"I don't want to see another Faerie in my life." She said and I just got a glimpse of her cold stone, unmoving eyes, as she stared up at Prince Aldrin.

_____________

My breath seemed to hitch as I woke up suddenly. I could still feel the deep sensation of hurt and passion in my mother's words as my eyes blinked rapidly.

I wiped my nose with the back of my hand as I curled into a ball on my good side. I could start to feel the whisper of Reighton's lips and body pressed against mine and I almost missed that warm feeling.

But then Kieran made my heart stop and my breath escape my body. How could he have done this to me? The lies, the secrets...his damn good looks? My head spun and my heart always felt like the changing tides whenever I thought of him. It was hard on me, this whole liking someone.

And I think I just used Reighton as my outlet to my feelings.

The kiss and his hands became more than a whisper feeling as the memory flooded my mind. And when I replaced his kisses and touches with Kieran's the first time he kissed me, the vision became a vivid daydream. My own Utopia in a place ruled by hell. And my prince was a demonic liar and killer.

Sighing, I turned onto my good side and ran my hands across the cotton sheets. Kieran's earthy toned eyes seemed to fill the blank space before me and I continued to reach for him.