13 | Insolent

It was all too much. So much was happening in just the span of a couple days. My life was hanging on by a thread--a thread that was controlled by the God forsaken Crown.

The hands of the faerie guard were persistent in their yanking as they led me through the halls of the castle.

The white rooms up at the front of the large building faded to a dark cream and then to gold as we passed through multiple swinging doors. Not bothering to take me out of sight of the main rooms, people's stares made my heart bleed. Their faces so damning and scorned, I almost wept for them and not myself.

But then I remembered why they were looking at me like that as the crowds of people trickled down as the guards carried me into a shifting room of blues and rose gold pinks. Women lounged in these small rooms and didn't even bother to glance my way as they stayed there smoking on long chairs and letting the potent smoke cloud the room. Their eyes were the only thing that moved and I cringed when I met a pair.

A guard kicked the back of heel, taking off a layer of skin as the harsh edge of his metal boots clipped me. Yelping, I stumbled into a colder room that had dark shades of maroons and silver tapestries hanging along the towering walls.

We didn't stay long in the glamorous room as the guards swung me down a long descent of stairs. The natural lighting coming from the large and wide Victorian windows disappeared in a matter of seconds as the pitch blackness of the pit these men were sending me to, overwhelmed my senses.

Nothing could be seen before me and I let the men guide me through blindly. My legs became limp and my head sagged. I hadn't realized just how tired I had become till now. It seemed to me that I had been fighting since day one. Or at least, since my mother died.

In a moment of self pity, I hated the world.

The jerk from the guards hands snapped me out of my livid thoughts and I realized we stood before a doorway.

The titanium door must have been six inches thick with all the locks and heavy bolts on full display, as if taunting me to say that this would be my last breath of freedom.

And I took that God damned last breath of freedom before the door unlocked in an intricate cycle. Sucking inward from awe, I didn't realize the guards hands were off of me until I took a free step forward.

Looking over my shoulder and towards the six guards that had escorted me here, I wondered why they suddenly let me go. Didn't they know that I could bolt from here? Escape in my own way?

But looking towards the slowly opening door, I wondered if in a way, this door was my salvation.

The leading guard jerked his chin forward, never speaking as he signaled for me to enter into the waiting darkness ahead.

Is this a test?

Should I go?

More and more questions filled my mind as I watched the doors stop with a loud breath of an echo hiss down the other room.

Silence fell and I gulped.

A chilling breeze scorched my skin as I stood before the opened doorway. The darkness inside daunting as I swiveled my head over my shoulder to find the lead guard grit his teeth.