•O N E•

Jamie's POV

"Jamie!" The dirty mop nearly flies out my sore hands at my boss's bark. "Jamie, I need you to close up tonight!" My greasy hair boss orders from behind the counter of the small bakery. Fighting to keep my green eyes from rolling in my head, I tighten my hands on the mob and focus on trying to clean the muddy floor.

"Alright, Mr. Miller." I force out in an even tone. Swallowing down my frustration and disappointment, I mop the dirty floor harder. My shift was originally suppose to end no later than ten o'clock, but that was half an hour ago. Mr. Miller is deciding to clock out early, meaning I'll be hurrying to finish my job, and my boss's job all before midnight, and that's only if I'm fast enough. Whistling, Mr. Miller struts across my freshly mopped floor smugly, completely undoing my hard work with a trail of muddy footprints. I'm suddenly glad when he exits out the front door. Good riddance.

Minutes race by, then melt into hours as I scrub, and restock the bakery. All the chairs are hoisted high onto the wobbly tables, and all the baked goods are stored neatly in the freezer in the back. For someone being in a rush I did a great job, a health inspector would willingly want to eat here. Keys jingling in my hand as I lock up, my body shakes from the bone chilling cold outside. It's the kind of aching cold you only feel at one in the morning.

While my trembling, cold hands twist the deadbolt into place, I'm faced with my next challenge. How am I getting home? I live across town, the buses stopped running at eleven, leaving me stranded. On my salary and expenses I don't have enough money to afford a cab. Sighing a sigh so full of disappointment, I actually feel more defeated than I already am. Looks like I'm walking.

"Excuse me, miss." I stiffen like a board at the sound of a deep voice. For a spilt second the idea of just breaking out in a run crosses my mind, but I don't even know what I'm running from. I can't find my voice as I turn to face a guy that makes my stomach churn with nerves. Towering over me at 5'8 a guy with a black hoodie over his head of dark hair looks around anxiously. The hoodie casts a shadow over his face, the only thing visible is chapped pink lips, and the tip of his structured nose.

"Is the bakery closed?" The suspicious guy asks in a hoarse voice. Fighting off the petrified look off my face, I manage a curt nod since my voice is lodged in my throat from fear. He's... Not going to do anything to me, right?

"Good." Good? At the mere mention of that word, I see the entirety of my life flash too briefly before my green eyes, I can't enjoy it, but rather want to bawl my eyes out. "Because I'm going to rob you." My ears burn with pure terror as I choke down a scream. My limbs move on their own as I pull pepper spray out of my bag and attack his eyes.

"I'm sorry!" I cry in a shaking voice that matches my shaking hands. The smell of burning chemicals violates my nose, and bring tears to my green eyes.

"AHHHH! Ow! Motherfucker!" The guy shouts. He collapses at me feet, wiping frantically at his eyes.

Oh god. Did I blind him?!

"I'm sorry!" I gasp, dropping onto my knees next to him. Wiping away the trails of tears pouring out from his irritated eyes, my hands knock off his hood that revel a handsome face with a nasty bruised eye.

"It hurts! It hurts! Oh god, it hurts!" The guy twists in pain in my arms and claws at his eyes.

"I'm sorry! Are you okay?" My stomach drops as blood starts to pour out his nose like a running faucet. Looping my arms under him I muster all my strength to pull him to his feet.

"We have to go to the hospital!" I cry out, my buckling legs the only thing holding both of us up. My arms struggle to hold the guy as he lurches and jolts from the pain. Every groan and cry from the guys's mouth grinds against my eardrums, making my heart sink. I really hurt this guy! I hurt somebody! I attacked someone!