•F I V E•

Riley's POV

Laying flat on my stomach I scroll through my cracked iPhone of pictures of her. She's the only person I ever thought beautiful, and it makes me nauseous.

Running water stops tapping by the hundreds, the sharp swish of the shower curtain alerting me Jamie's done with her shower. I don't bother to try to steal a glance at the dripping wet girl in only a towel rushing out of the bathroom. My eyes are glued on the breathtaking picture on the screen, plus I know Jamie wouldn't appreciate perverted glances.

From my spot on her couch, my ears pick up the soft sound of fabric being pulled onto a damp body, making it difficult to focus on the picture. Jamie's question echoes in my head; why did I come back?

I'm not exactly sure either. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to sleep with her or steal her credit cards. Although, I admit her apartment is cozy as it is cramped. Jamie's bed is always warm, and the apartment always smells faintly of peaches and freshly cleaned laundry. More importantly I kind of forget everything outside, and I'm just here, with her.

"I'm cooking, should I cook for me and a mysterious stranger?" Jamie asks, dressed conservatively in a white long sleeve shirt, jeans and a thick blue shawl wrapped tight around her like a shield.

Jamie dresses completely different than her

Jamie dresses completely different than her. Where Jamie is wrapped tight in layers, she just wears tight clothes because she loves herself.

"Mysterious stranger? Hmm, sexy." I joke, tucking my phone between the cushions as conspicuously as possible. Unlike most girls Jamie doesn't giggle, or swoon, or roll her eyes, she just patiently stands by for her answer. She doesn't seem to mind or care about my one liners.

"Are you going to cook tofu again?" I ask her, my nose scrunching up like I smell something awful.

"No," she starts, crossing her arms, "veggie burgers." She answers.

"You even ruined the burger." I groan.

"You don't know if you'll like it if you don't try it." Jamie says. My stomach is empty, but the idea of a thin, pale slab of pretend burger doesn't make my mouth water.

"Do you have barque sauce at least?" I ask.

"No."

"Ugh, you're killing me, Jamie!" I exclaim. She's like the Veggie Monster from Sesame Street.

"Do you at least have ketchup?"

"No." She sighs.

"Your lifestyle is a disgusting one." I state.

"I have hot sauce." She offers, her green eyes cheering me on to try her gross burger. She doesn't have a basic condiment like ketchup, but she has hot sauce? This girl is weird.

"Fine." I grunt. "I'll try one bite." I cave in reluctantly. Her freckled face brightens up like she read good news in the daily depressing newspaper. It's kinda of pretty, not pheromonal hotness, but pretty.

"It'll be ready soon." Jamie informs, disappearing into her obnoxiously small kitchen. Pulling out my phone out of the cushions my eyes immediately land on clouded blue eyes surrounded by smudged makeup. I don't realize how completely lost in those blue eyes I am till Jamie waves meekly in my face twenty minutes later.

"Buzzfeed or something?" She asks, raising a red brow at me.

"Nothing." I shrug off, tossing my phone aside. Following the smell of food I duck into Jamie's cramped kitchen and try not to dream about my diet of junk food instead. Jamie watches me hesitate with my first bite, her green eyes flickering with mirth.

"This is going to be gross, isn't it?" I stall, burger suspended up in my hand.

"Maybe. Maybe not. Try it and find out." Jamie encourages. Taking a deep breath I slowly sink my teeth in, getting a mouthful of a weird texture and unexpected flavor.

"You like it." She grins at me as I chew away.

"It's editable." I say, taking another big bite. What black magic is this? This rabbit food burger is actually tasty.

"You like it." A small, grin spreads across her freckled face. Jamie is prettier without that indifferent, solemn look she gives everyone.

"It's not that good." I object with a mouthful of food.

"You like it." She repeats with a knowing grin.

"Oh, shut up, and eat your dumb veggie burger." I grumble, turning away from her. Okay, I like it. But like hell am I going to admit she was right.

"Can I have another one?" I lowly ask five minutes later.

------

Scrubbing my wet hair with a soft light green towel I notice the dark stubble growing across my jaw. I need a shave, and a fresh change of clothes. I should really leave this dingy little apartment.

I should leave this girl alone too.

Shuffling out of the tiny bathroom in my black hoodie I find the couch covered in pillows, and sheets. I'm not sleeping on her couch.

Grabbing the pillow off the couch, I collapse beside the red head in her bed on the other side of the studio

"Um... I set up the couch for you." Jamie sits up in a blue flannel two sizes to big for her.

"I saw." I shrug, kicking off my shoes at the foot of the bed.

"Then why are you in my bed?"

"Because it's a lot more comfortable than the couch." I explain, pulling off my black hoodie. I can feel her green eyes burning into me. Discomfort swarms from her side of the bed, but it doesn't bother me.

"I don't even know your name."

"So?"

"I don't even know your name, so we're not going to sleep together." Jamie says firmly.

"Okay." I shrug off my shirt, catching her wondering green eyes on my abs. "The couch is empty." I say, rolling onto my side to hide my grin at her startled freckled face.