Meeting a Rouge

Logan suddenly stopped the vehicle and I realized that I had been sleeping. I yelped in shock and raised my head, ready to fight.

"What is it," I asked as I bared my long fangs.

"I feel something," Logan told me as he stepped out of the car. "A human."

I bolted after him and sniffed the air. I scented breath in the back of the trailer and my pelt itched. I should have been able to scent that before now. I strode forward and Logan began to prod the human body shape. It moved and the head of the girl I had seen at the bar poked out.

"What are you doing in here," Logan snapped as he took a step forward.

"I'm sorry. I needed a ride I thought you might help me."

"Get out," he growled as he turned his head away. She hopped out of the back and shook her head to clear it.

"Where am I supposed to go," she asked and I felt a pang of empathy. I had been like her with nowhere to go until I had found a friend in Logan.

"Don't know," Logan replied as dry as ever. Although if you had been around him enough you'd realize that that was how he acted all the time.

"Don't know or don't care," the girl quipped as her voice edged in fear and sassiness.

"Pick one," Logan shot back as he began to stalk toward his car with me trailing.

"I saved your life," she pointed out as I stopped and looked into Logan's eyes.

"No you didn't," he argued over his shoulder as he leaped back into his truck. I did the same but something was tugging at my heart to turn back and get her.

He started to drive but I lashed my tail. "You have to go back for her," I growled as I extended my claws into his seat. "She won't last a heartbeat out there on her own."

Logan stopped the car and turned to me as he lit another cigar. "Go and get her," he sighed. When I halted his eyes hardened. "Well I'm not so if you are, go now!"

I gulped and hopped out of the trailer. My wings unfolded and I floated down. I saw the girl's eyes widen as I flew toward her. I landed a few paces away from her and nodded my head a bit. "Come on," I urged as I flew toward the trailer.

To my surprise the girl actually followed me. She hopped into the place where I usual sat and I clambered in the back.

We drove for a bit until the girl finally spoke. "You don't have anything to eat, do you?"

Logan took out his cigar and pointed toward the glove compartment. "In there," he replied as he stuck the cigar back in, puffing out some smoke through his nostrils.

The girl opened it gratefully and began to chew on whatever was in there to eat. I had no desire to know what she was eating but she was rapidly shoving it down her throat as fast as she could. It made me sick to think about it so I just turned my attention on Logan.

She took off her hood and turned back to us. "I'm Rouge," she introduced.

That was a very strong name. We called wolves rogue when they threatened to attack us. Was this girl threatening to attack us?

Logan didn't reply since I knew he wasn't one for talking.

Rouge leaned forward and gazed at his dog tags. "Were you in the army?" Logan looked shocked for a heartbeat. "Don't those mean that you were in the army?"

Logan tucked them back under his shirt.

Rouge turned and stared past me at where we lived. "Wow," she breathed and I felt a growl begin to roll in my throat.

"What," Logan finally spoke with a bit of growl behind his words.

"Suddenly my life doesn't seem that bad," she spoke bluntly.

"If you'd prefer the road-"

"No, no," she interrupted. "It's nice. It looks...cozy."

She began to eat some more before she rubbed her hands together. I knew that she was cold, especially with her southern accent I knew she wasn't used to the harsh temperatures of Canada. Logan flicked the banged up heater on. "Place your hands on the heater." He went to touch her but she drew back in such fear that it almost knocked me from my paws.

Logan sighed. "I'm not going to hurt you kid," he assured her.

"It's nothing personal," Rouge argued. "It's just that when someone touches my skin something happens."

"What," Logan asked getting a bit more interest in her.

"I'm not sure," Rouge confessed heavily. "They just get hurt."

"Fair enough," grumbled Logan as he turned his attention back to the road. He placed one hand on the wheel and Rouge's eyes shone.

"When they come out, does it hurt," she asked as she looked directly as his knuckles.

I sensed Logan stiffen. "Every time."

After a bit Logan turned back to her. "So what kind of a name is Rouge?"

Rouge shrugged. "I don't know. What kind of a name is Wolverine," she shot back.

Logan smiled at her and looked at his hand. "The name's Logan."

"Marie," she replied before turning to me. "I know you can speak, so what's your name?"

"Starlight," I replied as I let my wings come out and I began to groom them a bit. They reeked of smoke but Rouge didn't show any indication that she cared.

"That's a beautiful name," Rouge flattered. "Can I pet you?"

Logan chuckled. "Try at your own risk."

Rouge placed her glove back on and stroked my rough pelt. "So you're a wolf yet your a pet?"

"Hey," I snapped. "I'm no one's pet. I prefer the term companion."

"Alright," Rouge sighed as she turned back around. After a little bit more of driving she turned to Logan. "You know you should really where a seatbelt."

"I don't need you to lecture me about the merits of auto safety."

Suddenly a tree fell and Logan flew right through the front window. Rouge didn't but I tumbled out with glass pricking at my skin. I healed rapidly like usual but I felt the presence of another wolf. This was going to be interesting.