Hunting a Rouge

Dagger and I decided to go on and search for Rouge ahead of everyone else. They had discussed it and they were going on foot and we were going through the sky. We were much quicker than they were since we were in the sky.

We met up at a train station and I shook my head to clear it. "Can you smell her," asked Dagger as he looked around. There was a lot of feet, everywhere and they almost trampled Dagger.

Logan arrived on his motorcycle and he turned to the train. I followed but he raised a hand. "I think that it's best if I talk to Rouge alone." He marched into the train and it started.

My heart felt hollow. Logan had never done anything without me or told me to stay like a pet. Dagger turned to me. "It hurts, doesn't it?"

I looked at him. "Has that er ever happened to you," I asked as I saw Storm and Scott split up to hunt for Rouge in their own directions.

He nodded. "I remember the first time Storm told me to stay like a cat. I just wanted to help and she treated me like a mindless animal." He thrust his paw against the ground. "We may be brothers and sisters through the mutant gene but we are still animals and they are still humans."

My mouth felt dry and my heart seemed to crumble. He pressed against me and licked my cheek. "It's alright Starlight. I know how it feels and it's just a harsh reminder where humans truly stand."

I hated to admit it but I agreed. As much as I enjoyed being Logan's companion and even though we had the same mutant power he was still a human. And humans don't understand animals.

I felt as though Logan had replaced me for another human. He had chosen Rouge over me.

For the first time in years I thought about escaping and pursuing a life of what I truly was.