Chapter 4: Perks Of Being A Family

Caroline laid on her back, her arms over her head, being completely out of breath. Klaus was laying next to her as breathless as she. They both turned their heads to face each other.

"You know... That was one of my good shirts, love." Klaus grinned.

"Seriously?" Caroline asked and climbed on top of Klaus and placed her arms across his bare chest. "Well, in that case Mr., I'll buy you a new one." She smiled smugly and reached to place a kiss on Klaus's tip of a nose.

Klaus chuckled and closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of Caroline laying on top of him. Caroline let her head rest on Klaus's chest too and relaxed. Klaus caressed Caroline's hair absent-mindedly, thinking how lucky he was. After a thousand years of waiting, he had finally met his match.

After a while Caroline raised her head said quietly: "I think I'm going to take a shower before going to bed..." She placed a gentle kiss on Klaus's left collarbone.

Klaus nodded and Caroline got up slowly. Klaus looked after her as she made her exit of the living room. Klaus crossed his hands under his head and stared to the ceiling. "I need to find a way to protect her and the boy..." He thought.

Klaus recalled that the witches had suspected Marcel having a witch on his side. An outsider, no one from the New Orleans covens, using his or her powers against them. "We should really get on to this." Klaus thought. He was already sick of this ridiculousness. He got up and halfly dressed before going to the master bedroom.

Caroline had already got out of the shower. She was watching Lucas sleeping like, well, a baby. Klaus walked behind her and put his arms gently around her. They didn't spoke or anything just watched.

Finally, Caroline broke the silence: "Did you know that he has a birthmark on his right shoulder blade?"

Klaus nodded as a yes. "That's a sign of certain werewolf bloodline." He said and felt as Caroline flinched a little. She knew that Klaus was talking about Hayley.

"Do you think he's a werewolf... or could he be a hybrid?" Caroline asked quietly.

"I don't know. I believe that we'll see it eventually."

Caroline caressed Lucas's soft cheek with her inder finger. "Nevertheless which one he is..." She whispered, "I love him."

Klaus also heard the understatement. "Nevertheless he's not mine by blood, I love him." Klaus held Caroline tighter and gave a gentle kiss on her neck. It still surprised him, how much love Caroline had in herself. Caroline turned and placed her arms around Klaus's neck and gave him a quick kiss.

"I love you too." She whispered. "Let's go to bed before I fall asleep right here and you need to carry me."

Klaus caught her in his arms smiling: "I'm happy to do so." And carried Caroline to the bed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say / it's all right.  

Little darling, it's been a long cold lonely winter / Little darling, it feels like year since it's been here.  

Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say / it's all right."

Caroline opened her eyes and searched for the source of the music. Brand new alarm clock stand on her bedside table and played this mellow song. Caroline pushed herself up into a sitting position and listened the song for a little while longer.