Chapter 24: All I Want For Christmas...

On December 24th Liz Forbes had to go to work, so she could spent the Christmas Day witn Caroline and Lucas. That ment that Caroline would spend Christmas Eve with her friends and Lucas would meet a whole bunch of new people. As Liz said her short farewells that morning, Caroline decided that she needed some pancakes. Actually,  a big pile of pancakes. And bacon... and whipped cream and some raspberry jam. All the increadients could be found in the Forbes kitchen, it was their tradifional 'comfort food'. When life gives you lemons, Forbes family members have pancakes.

"Isn't this fun?" Caroline babbled to Lucas, who was still waking up and was placed on his blanket on the floor. "Even though your not mine by blood I will make sure that you inherit all the bad manners of mine. Including eating to your sorrows." Caroline giggled and placed a quick kiss on Lucas's hair. "Better that than murdering people." She murmured as she stood up and started prepare the bacon. Her eyes became suddenly itchy. Caroline rubbed her eyes fiercely.

----------------

Few hours and multiple pancakes later Caroline and Lucas were finally ready to head to the Salvatore Boarding House, where they would meet all her friends.  As she pulled over to the drive way, Caroline saw Matt and Jeremy coming out the House. Big smiled spread on Caroline's face, but the joy was short when she saw who came after them.

Tyler.

Caroline gulped and took a quick look of Lucas who was sitting in yhe baby seat behind her. Caroline faced forward again and her eyes met Tyler's. They stared each other only a few seconds, but it felt like a life time. Finally Tyler broke the stare after Matt had said something. Jeremy waved his hand to Caroline and then lead Tyler to Matt's pickup truck while Matt headed to exchange words with Caroline.

"Hi," Matt said at the same time when Caroline stepped out of the car. "Sorry, we meant to flee before you'd be here. Anyway, Merry Christmas, Care." Matt gave Caroline a brotherly hug.

"Merry Christmas to you too..." Caroline answered with the same warmth. "Say...say hi to Jeremy... and Tyler too..." Caroline mumbled. "He doesn't know about..." Caroline winked her eyes to the car and in her mind thanked for the darkened windows... "Does he?"

"Not that I know of." Matt said in a firm low voice. It was comforting.  "Ty is a good guy, Caroline, he's just lost sometimes. When you two broke up, he had it rough... but I still don't think he would attack an innocent baby... although I guess I understand your concern. You have a protective nature,  Caroline." Matt smiled shortly. "But enough of that, we are out of here. Bro-Christmas. See you, Care!" Matt said, went to his pick up and drove off with Tyler and Jeremy.

Caroline sighed from the relief and leaned to her car. She waited a minute or two before taking Lucas and the ultimate survival kit: baby edition aka diaper bag with her and marched to the front door and knocked it three times.

Elena opened the door. "Caroline!" She cried out and draw her into a warm hug. "Is this who I think it is?" Elena said playfully.

"Elena,  meet Lucas." Caroline said motherly pride in her voice. "Lucas, this is Aunt Elena."

"Well, hi there. Who is such a cute boy." Elena babbled to Lucas who answered with a big smile.

"Oh, Blondie is here." Damon stepped behind Elena smirking as usual. "You brought me a 'mini-Klaus'? Aww, you shouldn't have..." He leaned closer to offer his hand to Lucas. "Hi there little buddy, I'm Damon."

Damon remained to stare at Lucas, who stared back his face extremely severe. Caroline thought that Lucas might start cryinb, then suddenly Lucas grabbed one of Damon's fingers tightly with his small hand and giggled.