Chapter 6: Sounds...Confusing. - Fantastic!

In the following weeks didn't happen much, although Klaus moved back in the mansion to play his role as a lone hybrid and Caroline and Lucas were still staying at Elijah's home. Caroline missed their own home and often stopped by there after school to study, pick something up or just enjoy the scent, the feeling and the memories of their own family life although it often made her feel a little bitter and sad.

Caroline also tried to keep a track on Elijah's movements. Usually he was baby-sitting Lucas when Caroline was in campus and Klaus had to make his regular appearance to Marcel from time to time but sometimes when Caroline came home she found Lucas with Sophie. One time Caroline had found Lucas with this old man called Royce, which made her freak out since she hadn't ever met the man before that night. Luckily Elijah came home right after her, otherwise Caroline could have done something severe. However, as hard as Caroline tried to find out if Elijah had made some progress about on finding the mysterious and treacherous witch, she wasn't successful.

A week before Halloween Caroline was heading to Elijah's place as she usually did after school day. She was just going down the stairs of the main building when she noticed a bearded man staring straight to her just below the stairs. Caroline slowed down her steps and looked at the man suspicuously.

"Are you Caroline Forbes?" the man asked harshly.

"Yes." Caroline said and looked around cautiously.

"Who's asking?"

"Nevermind. I have an invitation for you." the man handed a large envelope to Caroline.

"From who?" Caroline was puzzled.

"Marcel." The man huffed and rolled his eyes. "Be there or..." he said and vanished.

Caroline rushed to Elijah's place. Klaus was there hanging with Lucas, who had been a bit grumpy in past few days.

"I got this from Marcel. It's an invitation," Caroline said as she slumped on the sofa next to Klaus and Lucas, who was bouncing in his arms.

"I got one too. It's for the Halloween Costume Party." Klaus said tensed. "Attendance, compulsory. Elijah got one too. I guess Marcel wants to meet his vampire community as a whole."

"But we can't all go! Somebody has to stay with Lucas." Caroline shouted.

"If we all don't show up, there will be consequences." Klaus reminded Caroline, "low profile, remember love?"

"What that has to do with anything?"

"Marcel will get suspicuous if any of us is absent."

"Screw that Marcel!" Caroline cursed. "Then we'll need a babysitter."

"I compel someone..."

"NO, you're not!" I'm not leaving Lucas with some stranger. I'll call Sophie."

Caroline took her phone from her bag and dialed Sophie. She went to the library to talk since Lucas started to cry right after Sophie had picked up. That boy had a pretty good pair of lungs. After few minutes Caroline came back with a worried look on her face.

"She can't make it. None of the witches can. It's their sacred night and they have some serious stuff to do. Sophie wasn't too spesific about that but I know that she hadn't refused for minor reason." Caroline sighed deep. "What do we do!?"

Klaus looked at Caroline, his brains were storming for the solution. Suddenly, a thought came to him. He stood up and offered crying Lucas to Caroline.

"Please take the boy, love. I need to go."

"What!? Where!?!" Caroline started to panic.

"I wont be long gone." Klaus took a calming grip on Caroline's shoulders. "Don't worry love. I got this."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Klaus walked swiftly in the darkening evening. The idea of who could be the babysitter had just popped into his mind, now it seemed so obvious.. Finally Klaus reached his destination and entered to the bar. Fortunately, he found the familiar blonde bartender behind the desk.

"Hey!" Camille greeted Klaus cheerfully.

The bar was extremely quiet. There was some soft jazz playing on the backround and only two other customers. A man with thick glasses sitting in the window table, reading a heavy book and enjoying his cup of coffee and an older, a bit untidy woman weeping in the shadowy corner and drowning her sorrows to the glass of red wine.

Camille poured Klaus his usual and handed the drink to him as he sat by the desk.

"Here you are." She said. "I haven't seen you in a long time. I almost got worried, but you seem to be OK. So what's up?

Klaus smiled shortly and took a sip of his drink.

"Actually, I've been quite busy." He said. "A lot has happened since we met last time."

"How is Car..." Camille started but lower her voice instantly when she saw the warning look on Klaus's face. "...oline?" She whispered the ending.

"She's fine." Klaus answered kn a low voice. "But I need to ask you a favour, considering me and her and someone you haven't met yet."

"Sure, just tell me. I'll do anything to help." Camille ensured a slightly worried look on her face.

"Unfortunately, I can't tell you the details, at least not here." Klaus said and asked, "Do you happen to have a night off in Halloween?"

"No, actually I have a double shift. I hate it but I really need the money."

"What if I..." Klaus searched for the right expression, "... convince your boss to give you the night off in Halloween, would you consider to spend the evening with a very dear person of mine?" Klaus asked and added, "of course I would make sure that your effort would be rewarded enourmously."

"Sounds... Confusing." Camille said. "But if you really can convince old Bud to give me the night off, I'll be happy to help you."

"Fantastic! Klaus grinned.