Chapter 28: Drastic Dress Up

It was a long way drive from Mystic Falls back to New Orleans. Caroline drove it all the way, by herself with Lucas. She tried to keep low profile as she got back to the city, so none of Marcel's spies would get aroused.

"Home sweet home." Caroline sighed as she finally got in Elijah's apartment with all her luggage and Lucas, snoozing in her arms.

"Glad to hear that you refer the 'Big Easy' as your home, love." Klaus muttered smiling. He had appeared from the other room into the lobby. "Not so 'small town girl' anymore, are you?"

"My home is where my heart is." Caroline dropped her luggage and stepped closer to Klaus. Lucas sneezed in his sleep. "Some of it is still in Mystic Falls, but most part is here. Right in my arms." Caroline pointed, catching Klaus also in her embrace.

"I better go soon, love." Klaus placed a gentle kiss on Caroline's forehead.

"Okay..." Caroline muttered, "I miss you already."

"Caroline." Klaus said in his husky voice while cupping her face between his palms. "This will end soon.  I will make this city safe enough for you and our boy. We will get our home back."

"I know you do." Caroline whispered and leaned to kiss Klaus. A chill went down her spine when their lips touched.

-----------

The next morning Caroline was feeding Lucas his breakfast by Elijah's

kitchen when she heard noise in the lobby. Elijah and Katherine had returned.

"I can't keep my hands off you..." Katherine giggled. "Just leave them, we can unpack later..." She moaned between the kisses that she hungrily placed on Elijah's lips.

Katherine was already undressing Elijah in the middle of the room, when Caroline cleared her throat quite loudly. She was standing in the doorway with Lucas in her arms.

"Sorry to interrupt but would you mind?" Caroline said frankly.

"What is Barbie doing here Elijah? " Katherine shot her eyes to him.

"Didn't I mention that she and Lucas have been living with me for a while?" Elijah said slightly stupefied while buttoning his shirt.

"No, you did not." Katherine pouted.

"I bet you didn't give him even a chance." Caroline teased.

" Shut up Caroline! " Katherine spatted. "A girl has her needs... But I guess you have already forgotten that since you have ended up into the Baby Land."

"I have not!" Caroline protested. "Don't piss me off, Katherine. I'm older than you now and I can kick your ass if I want to."

"I would love to see you try." Katherine laughed. "Bring it on, Barbie!"

"ENOUGH!" Elijah raised his voice. "Katerina,  darling, I'm sorry, but this is part of the plan to keep Lucas hidden and Caroline safe. They cannot be connected to Klaus in any deeper way, in that case Marcel might try to use them against my brother." He explained.

"Who is this Marcel?" Katherine frowned.

"Klaus's protégé who happens to rule this city for now." Caroline pointed. "Speaking of which..." She added as she picked her buzzing cell phone from her pocked. "Elijah,  would you mind?" She asked and offered him to take Lucas.

"Marcel, hi!" Caroline said in a high-pitched voice.

"Caroline. " Marcel purred in the other end of the line. "I have this thing tomorrow and I would like you to join me."