Chapter 2

The square is one of the few decent sights District 12 has to offer, being surrounded by shops. Living in one of those stores, it doesn't take long to get there and already it's teeming with the vast majority of Twelve's population.

We head through the crowd and sign in. The reaping is also an effective ruse for the Capitol to get an update on the entire populace. Those that are twelve to eighteen move off to roped areas sectioned according to age, with the older ones closer to the stage in front of the Justice Building. Family members not qualified for the reaping huddle together around the square. Meredith and I walk to the seventeen-year-old section and search for our friend. She finds us first.

"May! Edith! Over here!" We turn to see Jasmine Green. She makes her way over to us, her braided blonde hair catching the sunlight and pink dress giving her the illusion of an angel. Many heads turn just to get a peek at her. Tyson Mellark, the baker's son, looks at her with such adoration. Jasmine always did capture many hearts with her clear blue eyes, flawless skin, attractive smile, and equally beautiful nature. Her knowledge of plants and herbs and healing especially make her a favourite among boys even from the Seam. Being the daughter of merchant apothecaries has given her that advantage.

"Hey, Jasmine, great to see you," says Meredith as way of greeting.

"Yeah, it is. Shame it has to be under such pressing circumstances though," I add.

"Cheer up, May. At least the weather's nice." Jasmine replies with a smile.

"Ever the optimistic one. Guess you're right. Oh, you'll never guess who I ran into this morning," I say, looking around. Ace Cartwright sees me and smiles. His parents own a shoe shop and have been trading with us since we were little. He is mates with Tyson, being neighbours and all.

"Who did you run into?" asks Jasmine politely.

"Your boyfriend Tobey Everdeen," I answer with a grin that only widens as she reddens.

"Someone might hear you, May." She shoves me shyly before turning her head this way and that. "Besides, he's not my boyfriend." Jasmine suddenly finds her shoes interesting.

"But you do like him. Edith tells me you give a generous amount of money to him in exchange for the medicinal plants he finds," I counter with the sly grin still plastered on my face. "The ones you brew into remedies."

"I also heard Hazelle likes that Hawthorne boy," intervenes Meredith helpfully.

"Seth? They'd be a lovely couple," Jasmines says dreamily, pleased with the change in subject.

"Don't know. Can't imagine what she sees in him," I mutter darkly, remembering this morning. Jasmine lightly scolds me while Meredith takes my side. Just like that we forget where we are or what we're doing here. The strike of the clock signalling two and the commencement of the reaping quickly changes that. Jasmine turns to us and says in an urgent tone, "If I get reaped, promise that you won't volunteer in my place."

"You won't get reaped, Jasmine," Meredith consoles, a hint of doubt in her voice.

"Only if you promise not to volunteer in my place," I say solemnly. We exchange tense nods and stare at the temporary stage where a podium, two large glass bowls, and three chairs are set. Mayor Undersee heads towards the podium, leaving District 12's escort newly arrived from the Capitol and Twelve's victor in their seats.

The mayor begins as he does every year; with the history of Panem, about how it was once known as North America. He proceeds by listing the disasters; the droughts, storm, fires and encroaching seas, all of which destroyed much land. Those disasters initiated a war over what little sustenance remained. Panem, a country with thirteen districts ruled by the Capitol, was the result of that brutal war. That eventually led to the Dark Days wherein all thirteen districts rebelled against that Capitol, resulting in the defeat of twelve districts and the complete annihilation of the thirteenth. The Hunger Games was implemented to ensure nothing like that ever happens again.

Garden of Edenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें