Chapter 26

As the parachutes continue to float down, Haymitch and I grab one each.

I analyse the parcel and it looks like any other. That is, until a small H on one of the side corners catch my attention. I turn towards Haymitch and see him inspecting the M written on his package.

"I think this is yours," I say, holding out the parcel so he clearly sees the simple inscription.

"I think that's a safe bet," Haymitch agrees, accepting the parcel and handing me mine.

I take it and notice that both feel extremely light. With some unexplainable feeling of trepidation, I untie the string.

I don't understand why it should make me feel so nervous. With the other parachutes we have received there was some nervousness, sure, but there was always an overriding feeling of excitement.

Opening the package fast, as one would rip off a bandaid, I see three envelopes. Each one has something written on their fronts.

Our Darling Daughter

May

Maisie

My heartbeat quickens. I turn to Haymitch. "This is-" I stop but stare as he hastily opens an envelope of his own. This one addressed My Sensational Son

With great delicacy I open the letter I recognise as being written by my mother.

Maysilee,

Words cannot possibly describe how proud your father and I are of you. We have watched you grown into such a fine young woman and are glad to see that the wretched Games have not changed that. Don't ever let it change you. Always do your absolute best. Remember that you will always, always have a loving family at home to come back to. Stay warm, stay safe. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of sleep whenever you possibly can. We have never, ever for once doubted that you would make it this far and know that you will make it even further. Have faith, my sweetheart. Have hope and we will surely see each other again soon. We miss you so, so much. Things haven't been the same around the house without you in it. Sometimes at night I would catch your sister hugging your pillow. I think it smells and reminds her of you. And that makes me miss holding you in my arms. I regret not doing it more often. I regret not telling you every single day that I love you, because of course I do. We all do. But come home to us, my love, and I'll do my best to make sure you never, ever forget that. Stay close to that boy. He'll help you whenever you need it. He'll help you for us. Always, always remember that whenever things look grim or dark, a bright sun will rise again and light your path. Let that path be your guide home. To us. Chin up and show the world your dazzling smile. Show them that you aren't afraid of whatever it is they have to throw at you. Things may seem the stuff of nightmares now, my darling, but it'll pass. I promise you it will pass. Whenever you feel alone just look to the moon and be comforted by the fact that I, too, am looking at it. That maybe we aren't nearly as far apart as you may think.

Love always, Your Parents

By the end of the letter, my vision becomes impaired and blurry.

I am surprised to find that I have tears forming in my eyes. They have yet to fall. I hastily wipe them away before they have the chance.

Gathering my thoughts and emotions together, I gently place my mother's letter back into its envelope. Then I place the envelope into my backpack.

I can't help but sneak a look at Haymitch.

He has his eyes glued to the letter, like it is a lifeline that will tell him how to get out of this nightmare and return home to his awaiting family. As his eyes scan the contents of the letter, Haymitch has an almost pained look plastered on his face.