Chapter 23

Despite the sheer number of squirrels, the small field is completely silent.

They sit motionlessly, staring at us with black eyes. As they continue staring, I notice these eyes change to a blood red colour. White needle-like teeth protrude from their mouths. I immediately understand what Haymitch meant by them having the sharpest teeth of any land animal. Because surely, there is no doubt about it, these are the same squirrels Haymitch and I both encountered on separate occasions. And then once more.

There is no mistaking those golden tinted fur.

I intend to turn my head and ask Haymitch about what we should do.

The moment my head turns in the slightest, the squirrels all move at once.

The ones on the ground rush forward and begin gnawing on our shoes and leg. The squirrels in the trees all jump down at once, falling towards us with their teeth bared.

I react by first shaking off the ones on my legs and feet by kicking the air, putting in as much power as I can muster. The squirrels there are sent flying into the air.

Then I quickly turn my attention to those that jumped down for the trees. I slash my knife at the ones which landed on my head and arms.

Just as I've gotten rid of the ones bitting at my skull and arms, the ones I kicked away come rushing back. I jab my knife downwards at the squirrels that are slowly making their way up my leg and body.

I am aware that they're biting. But because of the rush of adrenaline flowing in me, I only register a light nipping sensation.

Haymitch seems to have some trouble of his own.

If it were even possible, there looks to be about twice the amount of squirrels on him as there are on me. He jumps and slices about, throwing the squirrels off him.

Countless squirrels continue climbing all over me. Overcome by their numbers I take a step back. And another. And another, until my back hits the tree, cushioned by my backpack and the squirrels there. I lean forward before slamming my back against the tree.

The golden squirrels drop down, incapacitated.

I then start stabbing at the squirrels that I find are biting me harder than the others.

Soon, there is a pile of dead squirrels at my feet. But new ones replace the dead just as fast as I'm killing them.

My entire body starts aching, both from exhaustion and the bites it's sustaining from the squirrels. I'm panting and sweating with tiredness. My vision becomes blurry as sweat and blood pours down and into my eyes. My head and heart both pound painfully.

"There are too many of them!" I yell out to Haymitch.

This battle between humans and mutts has been going on for five minutes. But that's five more minutes than I would like to spend with them.

I'm now more exhausted than ever. My arm feels like it is about to fall off and my legs like they will give way any minute.

"We have to run!" I continue yelling, trying to catch a brief glimpse of Haymitch through the blur of golden fur obstructing my vision.

"Okay," I hear him call back, "follow me!"

Getting rid of the squirrels climbing around my head, I see Haymitch do the same.

He quickly looks around for me. Our eyes meet and he gives a reassuring nod. I watch as Haymitch kills several more squirrels before taking off in a sprint. Quickly killing those that get in the way of my running, I hurry after him.