Chapter 20

The first thing I actually do is look at the tops of the rocks, making sure no one is there.

For all I know, they might be trying to pull the same thing we are with the nightlock.

But no one's there.

Still not entirely convinced, I scope the area for recent signs of life.

There doesn't appear to be any. Apartfrom the two from earlier tonight.

Finally convinced that this parachute is the real deal, I bring it into the shelter and cover up the entrance again. I then turn the torch back on. Then, holding the torch in my mouth, I proceed to open up the contents brought about by the parachute.

I find a needle with a pink liquid in it. With trepidation, I lift up the syringe to inspect critically. There is only one thing that it could possibly be. And one person it could possibly be for.

Relief flows through me and a massive weight is lifted off my chest.

Quickly digging out the square piece of antiseptic cloth the needle comes with, I rush over to Haymitch.

I take his arm and hold it out before wiping the inner elbow with the antiseptic. Then I begin searching for a vein. Obviously I haven't ever done this myself. But I've seen Jasmine do it often enough that I'm confident enough to be willing to give it a try.

Finally finding what I think is a vein, I inject the needle into his arm and plunge the pink liquid through.

Once it has all been injected into Haymitch, I pull out the needle and replace it back in the small black box it came from.

I lean back against the wall, both mentally and physically exhausted from the day's events, but relieved beyond words for the parachute.

Leaving Haymitch to rest, I wait, knowing that it will take a little while for the medicine to take effect. Maybe even hours.

As I'm resting with my eyes closed, I am suddenly struck with another idea. The idea is so unexpected that when it comes I sit up forward quickly, flashing my eyes open.

Quietly I head back outside. I go to the nearest bush bearing fruit and pick one.

Back inside, by the light of the torch, I see I'd picked some blackberries. I open the small black box the needle came from and take out the syringe. Then I plunge the needle into the berries. Slowly, I pull the end of the hypodermic needle. Sure enough the juice of the blackberry is extracted. Once completely filled, I put the needle away.

The idea behind this elaborate plan is to trick the tribute that comes across this into thinking that what they're holding is medicine or an antidote of some kind. So, when they decide to use it, they'll effectively inject themselves with poison. Just one less tribute to deal with.

Unable to sit idly for long, I replace the cloth on Haymitch's forehead and pour some more water between his unmoving lips.

I then go back to sitting, drawing my knees up to my chest and resting my forehead on my knees.

The faces of my family appear behind my closed eyelids and it's taking all my self-control not to cry. It won't do to be homesick. Not when there are much more pressing matters at hand.

I check back on Haymitch every now and then, but it looks as though it'll take more time for the medicine to take effect than I thought.

As night drags on slowly, it brings with it a bitter cold. I put on my jacket before taking out Haymitch's and putting it over him.