Chapter 10

Once the countdown finishes, and the gong sounds, the landmines around our podiums become disabled, making it possible to safely step off.

Although my mind is racing, my body is still in a lethargic state. This becomes a massive disadvantage as, in those fraction of a moment when just about every other tribute is disorientated by the beauty of the arena, I could've had ran off already.

As it is, I don't gather my wits until other tributes begin moving off their circular podium.

An arrow pulls me out my reverie when it narrowly misses my eye. It still does manage to graze my temple. I look wildly towards the general direction in which the arrow came from. A girl from 8 has already reloaded her crossbow and re-aims it at me before I can even register what just occurred in the short span of no more than ten seconds. Before she has the chance to shoot me again, however, her mouth abruptly explodes in a shower of thick red liquid; blood. The head of a spear protrudes from the centre of her throat. She collapses on the ground. The owner of the spear is nowhere to be seen.

A sudden movement in the corner of my eye has me turning to the left too late. There suddenly comes a sharp burning pain from my left rib and side. I double over, wheezing for air. As I bend over slightly, I glimpse a hand fashioned with a knuckle buster. Twisting my head out of the way, I barely avoid getting hit in the face with the dangerous weapon. By turning my head I lose balance and agonizingly fall on my knees. I hold out my hands to break the inevitable fall. As I try to get up a hand grabs one of my ankles and pulls sharply. I end up flat on my stomach. As they pull me towards them, I claw uselessly for any weapon nearby. When still no weapon can be found, I lift my weight onto my hands, so my torso is off the ground, and do a backwards kick with my free leg. Unable to see, I aim high, hoping to kick the person right in the face. There comes the sound of broken bones and a groan from behind. Immediately the pressure around my ankle loosens. I pull my leg back and turn to see a male tribute from 6 with a hand covering his face. Through his fingers his eyes burn with rage as he takes a couple of steps towards me, a fist balled up, and the knuckle buster glinting sinisterly. Taking advantage of my position, I hastily sweep a leg under both of his. He falls with a crash on his back. I get up and run to a body. Without even thinking, I pull out a throwing knife lodged into it. Turning around, I direct the knife at the same tribute from 6 running towards me. The throwing knife ends up protruding from his forehead. There is time enough to see him crumple to the ground before I turn and run in the direction of the small backpack. I bend and grab the item without slowing down my running pace. All over the meadow there are rings as weapons clash, battle cries, and screams of pain. As I run, scenes of horror register vaguely.

A little girl gets cut in half by a samurai sword. Another tribute takes the full blow of a war hammer right in the stomach which soon looks like nothing more than a black hole mixed in red.

Bodies lay scatter all over the meadow and around the Cornucopia; the foolish ones having risked going towards the heart of the Cornucopia, where even now the Careers prowl the perimeter.

I somehow miraculously make it to the end of the meadow and stand right on the edge of the woods. I stop to catch my breath a little and scope out my surroundings. There doesn't appear to be any tributes around but nonetheless I enter with extreme caution.

Trudging through the woods for what seems like hours I hide behind trees and crouch below bushes whenever footsteps are nearby.

It has not even been safe for me to check the weapons and supplies I left the Cornucopia with.

Eventually I climb up a sturdy tree bearing plenty of leaves excellent for concealment. Perched on its bough and digging through the little pack I discover a bowl, some dried beef, and a blowgun with two dozen darts. I first examine a dart before inspecting the blowgun. What an utterly weak weapon. Small wonder it was placed so far away from the Cornucopia.