6. High Tide

After suffering through a less than mediocre rendition of Nicki Minaj' Bang Bang—a song which equated to scratching nails down a chalk board, but then again, most of Nicki's songs sounded that way to Camila—she and Michael relaxed against the bar, nursing more sodas as they watched Ashton's band set up on the stage.

"Vance is such a douche," Michael said. "I can't believe he's still trying to get with you after everything."

Camila sat on the stool nearest her and let out a long sigh. "Well, maybe he'll leave me alone now."

Michael looked down at his hands. "Why didn't you just ask me? You know I would have danced with you."

"Vance knows we're just friends. He'd never have bought it. Plus, I didn't ask Shawn to do anything. It was his idea."

Michael glanced up and eyed her carefully before turning his gaze away.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing."

"Don't 'nothing' me. What?"

"You just seemed very ... cozy with him."

Camila snorted. "Come on, Michael. We were just dancing. It was all a show anyway." She let her eyes wander until they fell upon Shawn sitting at the opposite end of the bar, a girl flanking each side of him. "See." She pointed to the two tall girls flashing their lipstick smeared smiles at him as he grinned back at them. "It's clear I'm not even his type. He was just taking pity on my Vance situation—which I'm grateful for by the way. That guy gives me the creeps."

Michael met her eyes. "The real question here is, is he your type?"

Camila opened her mouth to avidly deny Michael's question, when Lauren bounded up to them.

"There you are! I've been looking for you." She tugged at the bottom of her jacket and smoothed her hands along her sequined black jeans.

Michael's eyes brightened almost immediately.

"We've just been here." Camila prayed Michael wouldn't mention her dancing stint in front of Lauren. For whatever reason, she still felt slightly scared that Lauren would get angry with her again. "Who was the guy you were talking to?"

Lauren's eyes widened. "Oh, I know, wasn't he hot?" She sighed. "His name is Abe. He's a college guy. Someone Austin knows."

"Where is Austin?" Camila asked.

Lauren pointed to an area of tables just beyond where Shawn sat at the bar. Camila saw Austin huddled in a corner booth with a strange looking girl in a bright fuchsia tank top and tight black pants. "Who's that he's with?"

"Some girl he met at orientation. Herm—Hermi—Hermoine," she snapped her fingers and pointed, "that's it."