21. Here We Are

"Lauren!" Camila called, taking a few steps toward the door before she felt Shawn's fingers close around her arm. Looking up, she met his gaze.

"Mila-"

"She's my friend, Shawn. I have to try and make this right."

"I know, it's just-" He let go of her and raised his hand to his hair, tugging on the mess of curls. "Lauren's really not very nice when she's mad. At least wait for me to get some shoes," he pointed to his bare feet, "and I'll go with you."

Camila couldn't help but grin. Standing on tip toes, she brushed her lips over his cheek, her hand ghosting against his face. "I'll be fine. Just give me a few minutes with her, okay? I'm not sure how receptive she'll be seeing us together after ... well, you know."

The look on his face let Camila know he wasn't happy with the idea, but he nodded anyway. She reached down and grasped his hand, squeezing it once before turning away and continuing to the door. Glass crunched under her shoes and she grimaced at the mess. Clarissa would not be happy.

Camila stepped out the door into the foggy haze. The air was warm, but thick and heavy. Moisture from the storm the night before clung to everything, making Camila's skin instantly sticky. Looking out, she spotted Lauren half way across the yard, heading in the direction of the street.

She hurried down the stairs onto the grass, wetness seeping through her canvas shoes and dampening her socks. "Lauren, please. Would you just stop?"

Lauren halted, her shoulders stiffening before she finally turned and faced Camila. Her brows were drawn together, hurt and anger plain on her face. "Why should I Mila? So you can spin more lies my way? So you can continue to tell me you're not interested in anyone and then go behind my back and suck face with my brother?"

Camila closed her eyes briefly. "It's not like that."

"Oh really?" Lauren crossed her arms over her chest. "What's it like then? Because it certainly looked like that. Did you not tell me there was no one you were interested in? Were you not just stuck to Shawn's face in the middle of my house?"

"That's not what I meant-"

"Then what do you mean, Mila? Are you trying to tell me I was hallucinating? Because if I was going to go to the trouble to do that I would damn well imagine something other than you and Shawn together."

"Lauren, please ... It's not just-we didn't mean-we weren't just kissing. It's not like that."

Lauren quirked a brow. "Are you trying to tell me you two have a thing?"

"I don't know what you mean by 'a thing,' but we're-we're-" Camila really didn't know why she couldn't articulate what she and Shawn were. It was simple wasn't it? No, it wasn't which was why this was so hard.

Lauren laughed. A cruel, disbelieving laugh. "God, you're so naïve." Her eyes bored down on Camila. "You really think he's into you?" She shook her head. "This is what I tried to warn you about from the beginning. This is what he does, Camila. He gets in your head, makes you swoon and act all stupid, gets you attached and then he breaks your heart. You're not the first and you won't be the last."