13. Buried Treasure

Convinced that everything that happened the night before had been a dream, Camila didn't want to open her eyes. Although the dream was over, if she stayed there with her eyes closed, she could hold onto it a little longer: the feeling of dancing close to him, his hands on her face, his mouth on hers.

She sighed.

"Mila, I can tell you're awake." Lauren's voice sounded from very close to her.

Without opening her eyes Camila said, "How can you tell? I haven't even opened my eyes yet."

"Well for one, you just talked. And for another, you sighed, and your lids keep squeezing together like you're trying to blink."

"Fine." Camila opened her eyes. "I'm awake."

Lauren leaned over her, her brows furrowed and mouth puckered. Her black hair cascaded down, creating a curtain around them.

Frowning, Camila asked, "Lauren. What are you doing?"

"Do you have allergies?"

"What? No. Why are you asking?"

Lauren leaned back and chewed on the inside of her mouth. "I think you're having a reaction."

"What?" Camila shot up to a seated position, turning her full view on Lauren. "A reaction to what?"

"I don't know, but I'm guessing the lipgloss? Your lips are all swollen and red." Lauren's face fell. "I'm sorry, I should have asked about allergies last night."

Camila jumped up from the bed and ran over to the mirror on Lauren's vanity. She raised a hand and tentatively touched her mouth. It didn't hurt at all, but her lips were a little swollen and colored a deep shade of pink. She frowned wondering what in the world—oh. Oh! A small grin pulled at one corner of her mouth. Okay, definitely not a dream.

Lauren hopped up and appeared at Camila's side, glancing at both of their reflections in the mirror. "It's really not that bad. I mean, it'll go down. Hey, I have some Benadryl, maybe that would help?"

Camila bit back a laugh thinking how that really wouldn't help at all. "It's fine, Lauren. I'm sure It'll go down on its own."

"Are you sure you're not mad at me?"

"Positive."

Lauren let out a slow breath. "I promise never to subject you to untested lipgloss ever again."

"Okay." Camila laughed, feeling slightly guilty that she couldn't ease Lauren's blame by telling her the truth. Somehow, she didn't think that would go over well. Oh, don't worry about it. It's not from the lipgloss. I just spent half the night swapping spit with your brother. No big deal.